Dumped Parallels and back to BootCamp!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Lucille Carter, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I always wanted to try it but have no reason to have both OS going at the same time. BootCamp on my 2013 MBPro Retina with 16gb is FAST> FAST > FAST!

I love having the best of both worlds.:p

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

obviously Boot Camp is the best choice for full power of the Mac, but virtual machines are important if you need both OS's runing at the same time

3. Lucille Carter thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree 100%. It was quite nice to be able to move from one to another with a flick of the finger.

Choice is good.

4. adyf macrumors newbie

I prefer the flexibility of using bootcamp and then having Parallels use the bootcamp partition.

5. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

[​IMG]

Whatever works for you :)

Personally while speed of bootcamp is attractive, I find the OS choice is more restrictive, I can't bootcamp multiple installations, and backing up a bundle of VMs is a breeze

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

What do you use all those VMs for?

7. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

Got bundle of clients who run some very specific software packages, a lot of which don't play nice with each other. Easier to troubleshoot if I keep same OS and software versions each of them has on separate VMs.

8. guppy34 macrumors newbie

guppy34

Backing up VMs

snorkleman, may I ask what you use to back up your VMs? If I run Time Machine and back up my Mac, does it get the Windows VM too? Such that it could be used if I really have to recover it?

I need to increase the size of the virtual machine's allocated harddrive space. It has warned me to back up Windows before proceeding. Do I need to back up Windows specifically, or will the Time Machine restore point be enough?

Using Parallels 8 to run Windows XP on Mac Book Pro running OS X 10.6.8

Thanks,
    gup

9. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

I never bother with Time Machine - I drag n drop a copy of them over to another hard disk using finder

1 make sure the virtual machine is shut down rather than paused

2 in the Parallels 'virtual machine list' right click on the VM and choose 'show in finder'

drag n drop a copy of the .pvm file from there to the drive you want to back it up to (or just make a duplicate of the .pvm in the same location)

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Time Machine will back up your VMs. However, if they're running and your system crashes and the only backed up copy of your VM is a "running" version, it might have some data loss or corruption. If its powered off, then it'll back up just like dragging and dropping