Dumping MBP for 27" iMac and iPad

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MikeinJapan, Aug 10, 2010.

1. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Apr 23, 2010
    Hey guys

I have a MBP i7 and an iPad. I got the macbook pro as a replacement from Apple for my older MBP that had many troubles. After seeing the iMac 27" I have fell in love with it and I do need the bigger screen. Am I nuts for thinking for selling the MBP to buy an iMac?
  2. Vylen macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Depends on whether or not you actually use the MBP as a laptop - i.e. you move it around.

If you keep it on your desk then go ahead and sell it to get an iMac.
  3. nexedzero macrumors regular

Aug 6, 2010
    I Relized i hardly ever take my macbook off my desk so when it was time to upgrade i went for the iMac insted of a macbook pro. It all depends if you use your laptop at home more then on the road.
  4. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

Jan 22, 2008
    Just don't think the Ipad is a replacement for the MBP. It's not!
  5. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Jun 28, 2003
    I've recently done the same. I originally bought a laptop because I need something to take on holiday/trips/etc to put photos on, keep up with work emails, etc.

I've had an iPad for a while and with the Camera Connection Kit it completely satisfies my mobile needs! I'm over the moon, because although the MBP is a wonderful machine you get so much more computer for your money with an iMac.
  6. bolen macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2008
    I'm currently in the process of doing this.

I have a MBP (15" late -08) that has been sitting on my desk the last year, now I've finally ordered the new 27" iMac and will sell the MBP. I see nothing good in having all the compromises of a laptop while never utilizing the benefits.

I will then probably get the second generation iPad next year. :apple:
  7. moocat macrumors member

Jan 30, 2010
    Norman, OK
    sold my mbp and bought an i3 imac. I found that I rarely took the mbp out because the ipad satisfied my portable needs as well. If you dont need portability go for it.
  8. MikeinJapan thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 23, 2010
    I already have the iPad and it does everything but Macros in office that I need it to do. My mbp has left the house a few times but for nothing that the iPad couldn't do. I live in Japan and will be moving (possibly to Germany next year, if I can get the job) and I may wait until then and use the iMac as a TV too. Damn you apple and the beautiful screens on your iMacs.
  9. DUDEMANGUY5 macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2010
    That is what I plan on doing !
  10. WilliamG macrumors G3

Mar 29, 2008
    I made that move earlier this year. Sold my 15" MBP and bought an iPad and an iMac. SO GLAD I did. :)
  11. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

Jul 18, 2010
    Boston, MA
    This is what I did as well --- sold my late 2008 MBP and got a quad i5 27" iMac. My MBP never left my desk and the bigger screen of the iMac is awesome.

Although, I don't own an iPad (and likely never will) since it would simply duplicate the functionality of my iPhone 4. The iPhone is fine when I'm not at my desk, and I want to check a few websites on my couch, in bed, etc.

I feel like the iPad would overlap and nullify much of why I pay AT&T $90 each month for the iPhone (aside from when I'm not home of course).
  12. saschke macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2008