Dumping MBP for 27" iMac and iPad

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MikeinJapan, Aug 10, 2010.

1. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Hey guys

I have a MBP i7 and an iPad. I got the macbook pro as a replacement from Apple for my older MBP that had many troubles. After seeing the iMac 27" I have fell in love with it and I do need the bigger screen. Am I nuts for thinking for selling the MBP to buy an iMac?

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

Depends on whether or not you actually use the MBP as a laptop - i.e. you move it around.

If you keep it on your desk then go ahead and sell it to get an iMac.

3. nexedzero macrumors regular

nexedzero

I Relized i hardly ever take my macbook off my desk so when it was time to upgrade i went for the iMac insted of a macbook pro. It all depends if you use your laptop at home more then on the road.

4. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Just don't think the Ipad is a replacement for the MBP. It's not!

5. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

I've recently done the same. I originally bought a laptop because I need something to take on holiday/trips/etc to put photos on, keep up with work emails, etc.

I've had an iPad for a while and with the Camera Connection Kit it completely satisfies my mobile needs! I'm over the moon, because although the MBP is a wonderful machine you get so much more computer for your money with an iMac.

6. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

I'm currently in the process of doing this.

I have a MBP (15" late -08) that has been sitting on my desk the last year, now I've finally ordered the new 27" iMac and will sell the MBP. I see nothing good in having all the compromises of a laptop while never utilizing the benefits.

I will then probably get the second generation iPad next year. :apple:

7. moocat macrumors member

sold my mbp and bought an i3 imac. I found that I rarely took the mbp out because the ipad satisfied my portable needs as well. If you dont need portability go for it.

8. MikeinJapan thread starter macrumors regular

I already have the iPad and it does everything but Macros in office that I need it to do. My mbp has left the house a few times but for nothing that the iPad couldn't do. I live in Japan and will be moving (possibly to Germany next year, if I can get the job) and I may wait until then and use the iMac as a TV too. Damn you apple and the beautiful screens on your iMacs.

9. DUDEMANGUY5 macrumors regular

That is what I plan on doing !

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

I made that move earlier this year. Sold my 15" MBP and bought an iPad and an iMac. SO GLAD I did. :)

11. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

This is what I did as well --- sold my late 2008 MBP and got a quad i5 27" iMac. My MBP never left my desk and the bigger screen of the iMac is awesome.

Although, I don't own an iPad (and likely never will) since it would simply duplicate the functionality of my iPhone 4. The iPhone is fine when I'm not at my desk, and I want to check a few websites on my couch, in bed, etc.

I feel like the iPad would overlap and nullify much of why I pay AT&T $90 each month for the iPhone (aside from when I'm not home of course).

12. saschke macrumors 6502