iPhone XR Dumping Xr, advice needed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prhat317, Jul 17, 2019.

1. prhat317 macrumors newbie

I’ve had the Xr since release day but just can’t stand the bulk of it anymore. I gave my iPhone X to my wife when I got the Xr and didn’t mind the size of that too much. I always liked the SE but now a days that seems out of the question to get (let alone find new). My question is, if I plan on getting the new (rumored) 2020 smaller iPhone would grabbing a 7 or 8 be better for the mean time? Is the $150 extra worth it for 1.5ish years?

TIA

2. forestinjersey macrumors member

forestinjersey

I have owned both the 7 and the 8, I am now on the 7 again. I really did not notice the difference in performance and I can take or leave wireless charging.

3. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Worth is very subjective. To me the SE is too small and the 7/8 is borderline too small. The X/Xs is the minimum size I'd consider if I were buying today.

But to answer your question with my opinion, yes the 7/8 is worth $150 more or whatever than the SE because the SE is unusable to me. I'd probably pick up a used X for $500 at this point though.

4. robrobrobro macrumors newbie

I had the exact same question as you, and ditched my XR for an 8 due to bulk. Hate the 8. Terrible reception (even with the coveted Qualcomm chip). And the GPS is almost unusable (common problem for 8s). I’d say buy a good condition 7 from Swappa, or buy a super cheap beater phone for $100 until the new phones are released. Rumor has it the 11s have a redesigned antenna.

Long story short, I paid good money for a new 8 recently and seriously regret it. Don’t make the same mistake.

5. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

If you know what your plans are then grab the 7 and save some money.

6. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68020

KarimLeVallois

Random question regarding your username. Are you from New Jersey, or Jersey in the Channel Islands by any chance?

7. prhat317 thread starter macrumors newbie

Side note, how about that win streak?! Go Halos!

8. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

I couldn't go back to a home button phone, anything under the iphone x. The user gestures would drive me crazy. My son recently bought the iphone x at best buy and couldn't be happier. This is a sweet little phone.

9. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Looking good for once! Let's hope we keep it rolling today.

10. now i see it macrumors 68040

There's no credible rumor suggesting there will be a smaller phone in 2020. That's too far out.

11. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

The smallest iPhone in 2020 will be the XIs, it wont be getting any smaller for you, unfortunately.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I’d get an iPhone 7 for a year if I were the OP. If 2020 is the planned year to upgrade properly then an iPhone 7 will be enough of full the gap.

13. mikehalloran macrumors 68000

I traded in my 7 Plus because I found it too big.

My problem with the 7/8 is that the camera requires two hands to frame a shot. Pinch-zoom sucks for me. The smallest camera that exists for me is the X or Xs.

If the SE were to come back with one-handed operation, I'd buy it. Shortened battery life wouldn't bother me a bit.

14. VertPin macrumors 6502a

VertPin

15. Wide opeN macrumors 65816

Wide opeN

To answer OP question, iPhone 7 hands down. If it weren't for the hatred of the home button I would still have this phone. 2nd favorite iPhone ever, behind my Xs Max.

Yeah, removal of the the home button, Face ID, and wireless charging sold me on upgrading from iPhone 7 to iPhone Xs Max.

I hated the home button from inception. So it was GLORY DAYS, when it was finally removed. Gestures are so natural on iPhone X and above.

iPhone 7 is solid, and will hold you over OP, unless wireless charging is a game changer for you, cause it is for me.