Dune Pro PC Case Copies Mac Pro Design

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
There are a lot of nice cases and functional cases out there, but none quite like the cheesegrater. Even very expensive PC workstation cases use acres of plastic and thin steel sheetmetal with sharp edges. They are arguably more modern and more functional, but the construction seems cheap.
Doesn't look like the Dune Pro falls in that same description.

Really good shots of the case. Seems very solid, unless any other PC case.

Reactions: Chung123

Akrapovic

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
I like it, except for the glass panel part.

I don't understand why people are into that. I guess to show off their neon tubes, GPU brand names, glow in the dark cable routing, and a few months later...all the dust.
If you place your fans correctly and have dust filters then you get zero dust. Positive pressure in the case, and a filter on the intake. Easy. Got 5 year old rig that has no dust at all on the inside. And thankfully no RGB neons either!

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
From watching all the review videos up to this point, this seems like a very solid PC case. I mean, very very solid--more than any other PC case that I've seen and close to Apple standards. Linus' video is a good one to watch as he yanks the sides/covers off. You hear a solid "clump" noise, which is indicative of quality. Even the drive cage looks rugged.

Looking forward to receiving the case in January. Probably will sell the 5,1 shortly after, which will be a sad day!

If the production case is just as good, if not better (not sure how it could be "better") as what these videos are showing, then this case could be a steal at $199.

FWIW, I'm not sure why Linus was trying to cram a 165mm cooler in there. On the website, and on the Indiegogo site, it states that 160mm is the max supported CPU cooler height. There's plenty of Noctua options for that.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
If you place your fans correctly and have dust filters then you get zero dust. Positive pressure in the case, and a filter on the intake. Easy. Got 5 year old rig that has no dust at all on the inside. And thankfully no RGB neons either!
5 years, that's pretty impressive.

I tried to do that, but it didn't work out. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I think the problem is that the input fans aren't totally pressed up (sealed) against the filter.

Reactions: Akrapovic

Akrapovic

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
5 years, that's pretty impressive.

I tried to do that, but it didn't work out. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I think the problem is that the input fans aren't totally pressed up (sealed) against the filter.
Biggest mistake I made for decades was having not enough air pressure in the case. Always has positive pressure in the case, so the air blows slightly out of the cracks. Negative pressure pulls dust through them. I'm running a simple Fractal R2 (I think it's the R2...can't remember). It has a dust filter on the bottom which I have to clean a LOT. But the internals are almost spotless. It was the first time I'd managed to achieve it, and I think it's down to the case and air pressure.

I'm curious how the Dune would cope. I'm planning on switching to a MBP so may never get a Dune. But man it looks cool.

Herbert123

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
Interesting. I am looking into a new Hackintosh build myself to dual boot Windows and OS X, and this case may be the dot on the "i" (if you catch my pun here ;) )

No comparison in terms of internal elegant engineering compared to the new MP case, but the Dune gets one thing right where the MP case gets it wrong:

No need to remove ALL cabling to open it up!