Duo 2 Core processor vs. Duo Core

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dockmasterlynn, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Dockmasterlynn macrumors newbie

Is there a big difference between a duo 2 core and duo core processor.
    Also is there a big difference between 1.8 ghz vs 2.1 ghz? I just purchased a used macbook for my granddaughter she is 12 years. Would this be suitable for her using and downloading music and lots of pictures. I wanted a more newer version but I goofed and got this macbook with core duo and 1.8 ghz. 2 gb ram and 160 gb hard drive for $600. Feed back is welcome and suggestions are welcome. I did not have the funds to spend much more.

thanks for the input :eek:
    Dockmaster Lynn
    macbook pro 13"
    4gb ram
    500gb harddrive
    Ipod touch

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Hi -- it's a great computer for this kind of use! I'm sure she'll love it. :)

One of the differences between the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo is that the Core Duo is a 32-bit processor and Core 2 Duo is a 64-bit processor. Future versions of MacOS X might eventually require 64-bit processors to function. We don't know at this point. But even if that happens, any existing computers should continue to run just fine.

Honestly, given the way your granddaughter is using this computer, 1.8 GHz vs. 2.1 GHz shouldn't make any real difference. Bottom line is, you got a great machine for your granddaughter!

3. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Core 2 Duo gave performance boosts of up to 20% compared to similar clock speed Core Duo machines so long as software was written with it in mind.

Have a look on Teh™ Wikpedias for info.

5. devburke Guest

Yeah there are some pretty big performance differences for adult use, but for a 12 year old what you got will be just great! :D