Duo Core vs. Quad Core rMP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Foreversleep, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Foreversleep macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am thinking about a buying 13-inch rMP for programming. I already have 2011 iMac, which I use for photo-editing and gaming. Here is spec for my iMac:

27-inch, Mid 2011 iMac
    Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 12GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

The only concern I have for purchasing 13-inch rMP is duo-core CPU. I don't worry about dedicated GPU since I am just going to use it for programming but I am going to run some virtual machines and emulators. Do you think duo-core will be enough for this type of usage? Should I go for 15-inch rMP with quad-core CPU? Also, small screen is not a problem for me since I can use my iMac as monitor :) Thanks!

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

How much VMs did you mean by "some"? A couple of guests plus a host OS should be fine on an i7 dual core system. I mean, it's ok if you're just using VMs as web application containers, database and stuff that don't use 100% of CPU all the time.

3. Foreversleep thread starter macrumors newbie

I am really sorry for late response. Yeah I will probably use VM for database. Since you can't upgrade rMBP, do you think it's good idea to get 15-inch rMBP with dGPU? I wish quad-core is available on rMBP :( I am thinking about buying 13-inch with 16GB memory and 256GB SSD. Is Broadwell worth to wait? I am not going for high-end rMBP so I am not sure.

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

16GB. If you're planning using just one VM, even a dual-i5 + 8GB would be ok. I used to have a windows vista vm on my white macbook (core 2 duo) without any issues. But the new base 15" with 16GB looks tempting.

5. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

There's no point. It has supposedly been delayed to mid-2015.

6. 5to1 macrumors 6502

Which laptop could you upgrade later with a dGPU?

I have no problem running a couple of VM's on my 13" as none of the tasks I do peg the CPU at 100% for extensive periods. The 16GB RAM and fast SSD help my VM performance more then an extra core would.

Just check on your current machine if you're ever CPU bound running the same scenarios. If not, its unlikely you will be in the rMBP 13 either.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go with the 15" over the 13" You will notice a difference with the quad core processors with VMs, and the increased ram in the 15" (stock configuration) is another big plus as you'll need that as well.

8. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

Get the 15.4" since it offers much more versatility than the 13". More standard ram, more capable cpu, and of course DGPU if you opt for the upper end model.