Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FaultyGluestick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
I'm using an sr mbp and I'm typing up a lot of notes for a class with mac office. In order to save paper I want to do duplex prints but I can't seem to find the option in page setup. How do I get to this feature? Thanks!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I'm using an sr mbp and I'm typing up a lot of notes for a class with mac office. In order to save paper I want to do duplex prints but I can't seem to find the option in page setup. How do I get to this feature? Thanks!
Your All-In-One is not a duplex printer. To do duplex printing, you have to print the even-numbered pages, flip the pages, and then print the odds or vice-versa. Check the settings of your File/Print for even/odd printing.

hogprint

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2006
Wisconsin
wrong.....the mp530 is capable of duplex printing, download the canon driver from their website and once installed the two sided printing option is under the drop down tab for duplex printing......tick the box that says automatic two side

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I have the Canon MP530 and confirm that it has built-in automatic duplex printing.

unconvinced

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2006
Duplex printing with Canon MP530 on Mac office 04

Dcorban-- I've heard the auto-duplexing function can be slow, and that in practice you end up just manual duplexing if you want two-sided prints. Can you advise about your experience w/the 530? I badly want auto-duplexing, but only if the implementation is good. thanks for any info.

ertdredge

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
Somerville, MA
Use Gutenprint for two-sided / duplex printing

The Canon-supplied MP530 driver doesn't have duplex printing as a print option. Mac OS 10.5 has Gutenprint drivers built-in for a number of popular printers, including the Canon MP500 which is a near match for the MP530 and includes the two-sided option for printing.

With the MP530 plugged into your Mac (or, presumably, available over the network) go to the Add Printer wizard ( System Preferences > Print & Fax > + ). Pick MP530, name the printer something like "MP530 Gutenprint" and under "Print Using:" choose "Select a driver to use...", select "Canon PIXMA MP500 - Gutenprint v5.1.3" and then Add the printer.

The MP500 Gutenprint driver isn't a perfect substitute for the MP530 one, however, so you should do this in addition to installing the proper MP530 driver from the Canon website and adding the printer using that driver with a name like just "MP530" or "MP530 Canon". In a year or two of using the Gutenprint driver I've only once had a print job that wouldn't render correctly (some missing lines on the printout), and for that one time I had to switch to the Canon-supplied driver to get it to work. All the other times I find it very convenient to have two-sided printing available as an option.

The two sided printing isn't particularly fast, but it's a whole lot more convenient than manually printing the odd pages and then the even pages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.