Duplex Printing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dubberish, Jun 9, 2008.

1. dubberish macrumors newbie

I can't print double-sided on a printer (Ricoh Aficio 3035) that does support duplex printing, at least for Windows computers. In Print --> Layout, the two-sided options are grayed-out. I tried Printer Setup Utility, but there is *nothing* listed under "Installable Options" so I cannot check the "Duplex Unit" box. Even after I dl'ed and installed the PPD driver, "installable options" remains blank. Does the printer automatically recognize that there's now a PPD driver installed, or do I have to somehow link the driver to my printer (which was already added to my computer, so I didn't add it again after dl-ing the driver)?

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

2. suzuru macrumors newbie

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Some printers have 'advanced options' and you need to tell the driver that the duplex unit is installed in your printer. I'll download the driver this evening and will look into it for you :)

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have to redo the printer setup.

5. dubberish thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm, you're right about the Generic PS. I already downloaded the "PPD installer" listed on their site but the printer is still coming up as Generic. Do I have to do something else after installing the driver to get the driver to be recognized...? After I clicked through the installation package, the read-me said to "add printer" to the list but I didn't because the printer has already been added. I don't know if that's the problem..

6. dubberish thread starter macrumors newbie

I briefly tried to add the printer again, if that's what you mean. It's a network printer and I didn't know what protocol to select - IPP or LPD - or what address to type in (the IT guy did it for me originally; the IP address the printer gives is "invalid or incomplete" and the gateway address is valid but does not result in... anything... the printer is not recognized as Ricoh.) So I gave up on re-adding, and thought I'd just have to link the driver to the existing printer somehow, or enable some kind of recognition.

7. dubberish thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh! Wait, do you mean setting it up all over again from the installation CD?? I am so slow........

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

... and wrong. Installing a print driver or even a PPD file is just a way point. After your software is installed, you must run Printer Setup Utility to complete the setup of your printer so that all supported features are available.

As for which network protocol to use, you may use any or all that your printer supports. If you use more than one, then you will see more multiple instances of your printer in the File/Print dialog box. There is, however, usually no need for multiple instances of a printer but I have never seen them cause a problem.

9. suzuru macrumors newbie

As MisterMe says, you have to setup in PSU. I don't know which OS you are using but this is an example for Tiger... Go to "Apple" > System Preferences > Print & Fax > highlight the printer in the box, click "Printer Setup" button > select Printer Model from dropdown > Select "Ricoh" from another dropdown > select Ricoh Aficio 3035 (you must see this if you install the driver) > "click "Apply Changes" > close the window. You should be OK. Let me know how it goes...

10. dubberish thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked! So simple - all I had to do was just change the printer model in PSU from Generic to Ricoh Aficio 3035. I don't know why I didn't think to do that... Probably because before I installed the driver the only option in the dropdown was Generic, and I didn't bother checking it again after downloading the driver.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help!