Duplicate a laptop in its entirety

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SparkyCanada, Mar 24, 2014.

1. SparkyCanada macrumors member

Hi there.

I have a Macbook Pro running Lion (I use Lion because the music programs are happy with it and it is stable) - that I use on stage.

Recently I purchased a new laptop - making the one I use daily - available for me to use as a back-up for my stage set-up.

Both the stage & now stage back-up are the same 2008 versions - but different operating systems (Lion & Leopard).

I am not sure how to make an identical copy of my stage laptop -> my stage duplicate laptop.

I know I could use time machine - but I don't have access to another hard drive right now.

So I guess I'm asking if there is a way to connect the 2 and have a process initiated that will make an exact copy of my stage set-up -> operating system & files...?

Thanks,

SparkyCanada

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Target disk mode and a firewire cable is all you need.

Boot the computer that'll be a backup while holding down T. Plug it into the firewire port of your main computer. Have disk utility erase the backup computer's disk and restore the main computer's disk to it.

Carbon copy, without an external hard drive.

3. No-Me macrumors 6502a

+1 Carbon Copy is awesome! :)

4. SparkyCanada thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the awesome solution!

Will it matter that the operating systems are different?

SparkyCanada

5. Marty62 macrumors 6502

Your backup will become a "clone" of your newer one, so no, IT will end up
    having the newer OS installed on it during the process.

One caveat - as you are using several music apps / plugins :

As they will end up on your backup, which is a different machine id, you will
    have to re-authorise probably most of your software - just be aware of that.

Regards,
    M

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you use Carbon Copy Cloner, it will make both laptops identical including the operating system. Be sure the newer laptop is capable of running the older operating system, otherwise it won't boot.

With CCC you can specify which directories to clone, so if you wish too, you can leave the operating system untouched.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

The two computers will be the exact same, so the OS will no be different.

8. nigameash macrumors 6502

I recently upgraded laptops. I simply booted into the new laptop into target disk mode and booted the old laptop into the disk utility section of recovery mode and restored my original hard drive on my new laptop.

9. SparkyCanada thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone.

Only thing is... I want to have both of them on the older operating system - 'cause that's the most stable.

Will the above solutions still apply?

SparkyCanada

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It all depends on whether the newer computer can run the older OS. Generally speaking Mac's are not backward compatible, that is the oldest version of OSX that can run on a given Mac is the one that it came with.

If you bought a brand new retina MBP, then you'll not be able to run Lion on it. If its a 2012 cMBP than I believe you should be able to run Lion on it.

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

The 2012's came with Lion on them when they came out, so yes, Lion will run.

12. nigameash macrumors 6502

Use disk utility in recovery mode on one mac and target disk mode in the other. If you clone the disks this way, your old operating system will be cloned over to the new hard drive.

13. SparkyCanada thread starter macrumors member

Thought I'd post an update.

Ended up getting CCC and and a spare HD - it worked well.

Thanks,

SparkyCanada