Duplicate alerts on my iPhone (really annoying)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dypark, Nov 1, 2008.

1. dypark macrumors newbie

Each time I get an SMS, my iPhone 3G is giving me 2 alerts. I get one with the message and another one 5 min later. Really annoying. When the ringer is off, it will vibrate twice.

Anyone have this happen to them? How do I fix this annoying problem?

2. siufai macrumors member

You can't. It's a feature that was included in the 2.1 update. It's there to alert you in case you miss the first alert.

3. dypark thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I'm sure some people like the new feature but to me it is really annoying especially since I have SMS Preview turned on. So if I'm in a meeting, even though I read the message through the SMS preview, I have to actually go to the SMS app to register it read so I don't get another alert.

Another example of Apple trying to do something different that's out of the norm. I know of no other handsets that do this double reminder. I wish they would at least make new features configurable so those of who don't want the Apple way of things can turn it off.

4. siufai macrumors member

I think if you press the sleep/wake button after you read it, you dont have to worry about the alert again.

5. Quincy9219 macrumors regular

A lot of people complained for this feature because every other cell phone on Earth has duplicate alerts and Apple decided to add it because it was a quick and easy addition to the SMS app. Addressing the screen in any way will cause it to not send the duplicate alerts. Hit the home button or the sleep/wake button and the alerts will not happen. Apple can't please everyone, get used to it or get rid of the iPhone