Duplicate apps in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dmb8021, Nov 27, 2008.

1. dmb8021 macrumors member

I wasn't sure where to put this (either here or the iTunes forum), but since I have an iPod touch, i'll put it here.

I recently switched from a PC to a mac and in doing so, transferred my iTunes library over. When I did this though, in the applications section, it shows duplicate apps (see image below). So I went and deleted each duplicate and synced. Well, it deleted all the apps on my iPod. So I just want to know if there is a way to safely delete the duplicate apps?

[​IMG]

2. dmb8021 thread starter macrumors member

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

iTunes created the duplicates because it couldn't find the original files. You could have pointed iTunes in the direction of the original files.

4. ZuneMan? macrumors regular

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, this happened to me also when I transferred an iTunes library from OS X -> Windows.

What happens is that the versions in the library are considered unusable by iTunes for some reason. The duplicates arise because the apps are copied back to the iTunes library from the iPhone. If you happen to have any app that was in your library but not your iPhone or vice versa, you'll only see one copy (one non-working copy if it was in the library but not on the iPhone).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=598287&highlight=itunes+windows+xp+mac

I just deleted them in iTunes and then deleted the files in the iTunes library as well -- you can identify them by date versus the updated ones that came off the iPhone (I think the ones with the iPhone will all have a "1" at the end, since they couldn't be written with the original name, because the old file was there).

It's good info to know it happens Windows -> OS X also.