Duplicate contacts - iTunes sync and OTA Exchange

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by afousek, Jul 8, 2009.

1. afousek macrumors member

This forum is probably the best for this......

Hi.......obviously new to the board. Had a quick question. When I initially synced up with iTunes, I chose to sync with the Outlook on my computer. This brought all of my contacts over to the iPhone. Then, I configured my Exchange mail account, which in turn synced everything up again. So, by default, when I hit Contacts on the iPhone........I've got duplicates. One set from the iTunes Outlook sync and another set from Exchange "over the air". How can I remove the set that I originally synced from iTunes and just (only) use contacts from my Exchange? Thanks.

2. tangfred macrumors member

Did you try turning off Exchange sync in iTunes? If you are using over the air, there's no point in having it set to sync two times from two different sources (even if both of those sources are actually the same Exchange mailbox)

3. afousek thread starter macrumors member

i turned off the exchange sync within iTunes, but I'm still stuck with the duplicates from the initial sync.

how do i delete the contacts that I initially synced thru iTunes from the iphone (without deleting the contacts from my Exchange over the air)? i've already unchecked the Outlook sync within iTunes.

4. tangfred macrumors member

Reboot both the device and your PC. Then resync.

5. afousek thread starter macrumors member

what's the proper way to reboot the device? will it revert it back to default, or is it simply a reboot?

6. tangfred macrumors member

A straight reboot is the same as rebooting a PC. It simply starts up from scratch. If you want to Restore the device to factory defaults, you can try that also. It's an option in iTunes.

To reboot, hold down the power button for a couple of seconds until the Slide to Power Off icon appears on screen.

7. afousek thread starter macrumors member

well......

i've already rebooted the phone and re-synced with iTunes, but the original contacts are still there. Trying to avoid removing everything and starting fresh.