Duplicate contacts

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by UberMac, Sep 3, 2012.

1. UberMac macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I've noticed recently that my iPhone has had duplicate contact entries in it (i.e. John Doe is in there five times despite being on iCloud.com only once, he also features on my Mac address book multiple times).

Initially I went through on my Mac and deleted the duplicates and then they disappeared on my iPhone too - at this stage there were two copies of everyone and I resolved it to one. HOWEVER, after a couple of weeks I now have FIVE versions of some people and two, three of four of others.

There appears to be no consistency and I've not found any helpful tips on here or elsewhere. Has anyone else experienced similar things? Or am I a sole iCloud duplication sufferer?!

Uber :confused:

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Did you check the Preferences in contacts to see what Accounts you are connected to and uncheck one account that you rarely use.

3. UberMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried that. Turned contacts off. Turned back on. All my duplicates reappear despite not being on iCloud.com

Bizarre.

I only have one account on my iPhone and nothing is stored locally, everything is coming from iCloud. Any other ideas?

Uber

4. rogerw macrumors 6502

I also have this. I also find that with contacts on iCloud , when I open contacts the cpu on my 1year old imac with 16Gb of ram goes to about 80% and everything crawls to a stop. I have disconnected icloud for contacts and is now fine. I still have these duplicate contacts though. I dont know if its the way i have set it up but for a while the imac was almost unusable

5. UberMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I've just been through and done another manual delete of duplicates and now BACKED UP! So if it happens again I can restore the non duplicated versions.

Oh well. C'est la vie.

Uber