Duplicate file systems after SSD install

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ekinnyc, Feb 10, 2013.

1. ekinnyc macrumors member

I asked this in another thread of mine but that was dedicated to me ssd install experience so i will separate it here

I did a clean install of snow leopard onto my new ssd. However i did not format my original hd, which is now in the opti bay. As a result, i have 2 boot drives...my machine is set to boot from the sse, however the hdd still has the entire osx install that i ran prior to ssd unstall.

When i did the clean install, i imported my original user and apps from time machine, but did not restore pics, music, etc... Instead, i pointed the home folder to my user folder on the hdd. Any issues with doing it like this?

I want to clean up the hdd and remove the old os x install... How do i do it without having to format the hdd and lose my home folder?

Or am i better off just copying all of my data over to an externAl hd, formatting the old hd, re setting the home folder, snd copying my data back?

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

There's no any technical problem with the setup you've described, as long as your permissions are setup correctly.

Lots of people do a similar setup (OSX files on SSD, home folder on a HDD). Your situation is just a little different because your HDD is also bootable.

You could manually delete the old OSX system folders on the HDD if you want to. Just treat them like any other file and move them to the trash. There are probably going to be several hidden folders that you can't see from finder. The terminal will help with that (if you're comfortable using it).

Be careful not to delete anything you want to keep.

3. ekinnyc thread starter macrumors member

So i can delete all folders other than users on the hdd?

Also, i deleted the originsl home folder created on the ssd before i set the hdd to be home. Would that be a problem?

My main concern isnt the space taken up by the old os x install, if anything its like a built in fail-safe, but im not sure how to set up my time machine now

4. dec89w macrumors newbie

One of the things I don't have much time for is cleaning up my computer files, so this morning I downloaded one of these new duplicate finder computer programs. It sounded simple enough, a computer program that find duplicate files and partial duplicate files and lets you decide what you want to do with them. I nearly didn't have time to download it and only just caught the seven forty-two train. It would have kinda defeated the object of saving time if the process of downloading the program had forced me to get a later train.

5. ekinnyc thread starter macrumors member

wow, thanks for the useful contribution.....:rolleyes: