Duplicate files in iTunes library and on HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by weirdelves, Jul 2, 2013.

1. weirdelves macrumors newbie

Hi all

Basically my Macbook air keeps telling me I'm running out of HD space and most of the files on my laptop are mp3 files. I'm pretty sure that because I download music from the internet those files are then saved into the downloads folder, and then copied into the itunes library. So it seems that I have two copies of most of my music; one in the itunes media library and one in the downloads folder. I'd like to remove all music in the downloads folder in order to clear space, but I'm worried that I'll accidentally delete songs that I won't be able to get back again.

So my question is, if I consolidate my itunes library, will I then definitely have a copy of all my music in the iTunes media folder? If so, I can delete all the music in the downloads folder without worrying about losing anything.

Thanks

2. Bear macrumors G3

Consolidating your iTunes library should do what you want. And it should be safe to delete the files in DOwnloads.

What you should have before you delete the files in Downloads however is a backup of your system if you're worried about losing any music.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

By default, iTunes makes a copy of any music files you add to the library. If you don't want that to happen, and you prefer to manage your music files yourself, in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced uncheck these boxes:
    [​IMG]

You should be safe in deleting all the music from your Downloads folder, if you've already added that music to your iTunes library. Or, unless you're trying to preserve playlists and ratings, you could delete your entire iTunes library, including the copies of music files that iTunes created, then put all your music from sources like your Downloads folder into one music folder and add that folder to a new iTunes library.

As Bear suggested, it's always wise to start with a backup before making major changes to your data.

4. AdinP macrumors newbie

I agree with the above - don't copy all your music onto your drive. I have a MacBook Air and I try to keep non-essential stuff off my SSD.

Also run a scan with a duplicate file finder to see if there are any songs you can safely get rid of. Easy Duplicate Finder works on Mac OS and does a free scan. It can also sync with iTunes.

By the way, I'm not affiliated with this software, just like it better than Gemini and don't know other duplicate finders that work on Mac.