Duplicate Files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmb208, Dec 10, 2015.

1. dmb208 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

This may seem like a really stupid question, but I recently just got my new macbook pro and am in the process of downloading a lot of mp3s. After downloading the mp3 files I then open them up with iTunes so that they are added there as well. When looking in the 'All My Files' section of the HD, I notice I now have 2 of the same music file (1 from My Downloads and another now in the Itunes media folder).

My question is, is there a way to make it so that there is only one file so I am not taking up double the space for one file? Would I be able to delete the file from downloads and it will still be available in the itunes media folder? Any help would be appreciated. I am just trying to save as much space as possible to avoid cluttering the HD.

Thank you.

2. Fenway macrumors newbie

Fenway

Hi,
    The best Way I have found to do this, is to download it and Move the files or copy it directly into the media folder in the directory in iTunes. What I usually do is create a folder called Music in the iTunes/iTunes media folder. Then I go to iTunes and I choose add music to library and direct all my music from iTunes into that new Music folder. Then I go to advanced and uncheck the option that says to create a second or copy entry in the library when you play the file. This also means you don't have to play each file when you download it to get it added to itunes library. This is a good method if you are intending to add a large library to iTunes.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

You can also configure iTunes to leave media files where they are (not copy to its media folder), only link to them.
    But then you need to manage those files yourself.
    I rather like the way iTunes keeps its Media folder organised, so I normally just delete the original file, I just added.
    The other option to handle this, would be to download directly into the folder (still letting iTunes to manage Media Folder):

~Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Automatically Add to iTunes

and iTunes will take it from there and sort it into the right place in its folder tree.