Duplicate Files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mysonictrth, May 9, 2008.

1. mysonictrth macrumors newbie

Hi all, I have 0 disc space left on my macbook pro. I was going through the Users:Home and the MacHD folder, and I've noticed that in each there's library folders and document folders. These seem to be the same...are they duplicates? or Just referencing the same files? Also the documents in Users:home:documents are different from the documents that I access on the left tool bar...I'm afraid to delete stuff incase they aren't dupes but I just can't figure out what's going on. If anyone has seen his or can explain this to me anything will help! Thanks:apple:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, they are not the same. The folders on the root level of your hard drive are available to all users. The folders within Users are available to specific users and are not available to other users on the system.

You simply cannot recover enough space by deleting accounts or by deleting applications that shipped with your computer. Buy an external hard drive and move your data from your boot drive to it.

3. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

As MisterMe said, don't mess with files in different directories (like Library, Documents, etc.)

If you really want to find duplicate files, use an application like "TidyUp!" from http://www.hyperbolicsoftware.com/ - be very careful before you choose files for deletion though!