Duplicate finder app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zoran, Jan 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. zoran macrumors 68030

What is the best app to find and sort out duplicate files?

2. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

3. Tech198 macrumors G4

i still like : Araxis Find Duplicate Files

It relies on hash checking which is the slowest part about finding duplicates on a large folder

4. HDFan macrumors 6502

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I've also seen Dupe Guru recommended, but don't know if it's free.
    You know the old saying: "Good, Cheap, Fast - pick two". ;)

7. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Heh yeah, I'm wondering though how do free apps get their money from?

8. barbu macrumors regular

barbu

Some people just write apps to solve a problem they themselves had and end up releasing it without expectation of financial reward. These apps tend to be less polished but usually work fine.

9. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Just seeing if there's any other suggestions, as I was about to ask the same question. In my case, I'm perfectly happy using non-free apps and probably prefer non-free.

I'd first be interested in just a hierarchical view of what folders contain identical contents, and then which individual files are the same. I don't trust file name and size comparisons, I want to know the contents are the same.

Gemini 2 makes me a bit nervous-- I don't know what criteria it is using to find matches, and I don't want anything making selection decisions for me. I'm also not thrilled about things digging through my iTunes and Aperture libraries.

I've also got Duplicate Detective installed, that I'll be trying. Any experience with that?

10. organicCPU macrumors 6502

organicCPU

dupeGuru is free under license of GPLv3. The developer is explaining on his site, why he decided to make it available for free. Last time I've been visiting his site, he was searching for a new maintainer of the app. So it could be you to hold the app alive. I tried several solutions including commercial ones for finding duplicates. I didn't find another tool that has this set of features nor is working better for me than Virgil Dupras' solution dupeGuru.