Duplicate Icons in Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jb1861, Aug 19, 2014.

1. jb1861 macrumors newbie

Through a series of rather unfortunate mistakes, I managed to do a secure delete of the trash with Apps folder and its contents all in the trash. Panic ensued. I had very recently backed up my computer and was able to restore the folder and programs. Since then, whenever I open something from the apps folder that is also always in my dock (EndNote, for instance), a second icon appears on the dock. One of the icons has the little blue indicator light below it, and the other does not. I've attached a screen shot

Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 12.16.59 PM.png .

have tried using the "Remove from Dock" thing and then opening the the app and selecting "Keep in Dock," but that does not correct the problem.

Also, when iCal pops up with a new reminder, a second icon appears, but when I open iCal from the Apps folder, the program opens from the icon already on the dock. I don't know if any other programs are doing this.

Any ideas how to fix this? I know its not a huge deal, but it's driving me crazy! In case it's important, I'm using an Macbook Air with OS X 10.7.5.

Thank, Jami

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try this... quit all the apps so nothing is running. Then drag each app icon off the Dock into the middle of the screen until it goes "poof" and is removed from the Dock.

Now open the Applications folder and for each icon you want on the Dock just drag the app onto the Dock and drop it there.

3. jb1861 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jb1861 thread starter macrumors newbie

Correction - That fixed some of the problems iCal and Endnote don't get duplicate icons in the dock when opened from Apps folder or Finder, but Word still does. At this point, Word is the only program in my dock that opens the extra icon. As with Endnote before, one icon will show that the program is running and one will not.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Another thing you can try, is close Word. Then drag Word icons off dock till till they go poof. Then reopen Word from Finder. Once open, either drag the icon over further onto the dock which will keep it on the dock or right click it and under Options>Keep in Dock.

Then close Word and try reopening it from Finder again to see if it is placing a second icon on your dock. Hopefully this might be another solution.

Attached Files:

6. jb1861 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried removing from dock and then replacing. That seems to have worked with a few, but Word and iCal are still being difficult.

Word opens a second/duplicate icon if I open the program from the application folder or a document from Finder.

iCal opens without placing a second icon in the dock if I open it from finder. However, when I get a notification/reminder from iCal a second icon appears.

I tried repairing the disk permissions hoping that would root out any glitches, but I'm still having the problem. I also tried un-syncing all my calendars from different e-mail accounts and devices and then re-syncing them, but that was also useless.

7. jb1861 thread starter macrumors newbie

While poking around on some other forums, I found a recommendation to click "Show in Finder" on both icons to see if there are differences, and mine might be different for Word. I'm attaching a screen shot showingthe file paths for two different Word icon.

Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 10.37.13 PM.png

8. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

By any chance did you pull all of your apps out of the Microsoft Office 2011 folder they were residing in, that was in your Applications folder. It looks to be the case. Word and all the other apps are meant to reside in that folder. If you did pull them out of the folder you may have created shortcuts to them which could be causing the problem, hence why you are finding the apps in 2 locations in Finder.

You may need to get rid of those shortcuts to solve the problem. Make sure you have a backup before deleting anything first though. See if that helps.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You have done something odd there with where the apps are installed and may have even installed twice in different locations? It appears you may have two Applications folders going on there. Look how Chess for example is in one and not the other.

Go back to those same exact two Finder windows then hold the command key and click on Applications at the top to show the full path to each like in my screenshot so we can see what is up.

I also now notice in your first post the screenshot appears to show the Address Book application in the Downloads folder in the Dock?

[​IMG]

10. jb1861 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, here are the screen shots with the full path shown. Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 1.16.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 1.15.36 PM.png

11. DeltaMac, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, you have a copy of what appears to be your complete Applications folder inside your Users home folder (the folder named Jami-Barnett). The correct location for the Applications folder is at the root of your hard drive. So, the proper path for you is Untitled/Applications.

Now, you have two copies of everything, on the same partition.
    No wonder you are confused.
    Either set of Applications will launch, and each would provide its own icons in the Dock, even if the app is the same, because they are in separate locations.
    I would try simply moving the Applications folder that's in your Jami-Barnett folder straight to the trash. Your system will likely complain, and ask for authentication, so supply your password. Double-check in that Applications folder that there's nothing that is NOT a copy, or something that you want to keep and only exists in that folder. Then empty your trash. Most apps should leave without a struggle, however iTunes and some others may not let you empty the trash (be sure to try anyway) If your trash does empty completely, then you may be OK. DON'T try to move the Applications folder at the root of your hard drive (Untitled/Applications). THAT one should warn you, and probably will say "you don't have permissions to (do this)"

12. Weaselboy, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OP>> Might want to get those two Finder windows side by side before you do this to make sure all the apps exist in the main /Applications folder before you delete the users folder one. I am concerned you may have only one copy of some apps in the users applications folder and if you delete that folder without first moving the app to the main /Applications folder it will be gone forever.

Edit: Thought of something else. I think how you got sideways here is the Applications entry in your Finder sidebar on the left there is going to the wrong applications folder, and you may have been dragging app installs to that sidebar. Once you get this straightened out, delete that sidebar entry and then drag the correct, main /Applications folder into that sidebar.

13. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Very true. Check app to app for current versions.
    I do know that other copies of apps with different versions will be reported as needing updates, even though you already have updated. Gets confusing in a hurry...

14. jb1861 thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent! I have deleted the extra Application Folder, restored the correct one to its rightful place in the sidebar and on the dock, and the duplicate icons seem to be gone!

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... now go stand in the corner for five minutes and we'll just pretend this never happened! :D

Glad you are all fixed up.

16. jb1861 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I need someone to install locks on my controls to prevent this kind of thing. Clearly I can't be trusted with my own administrator password.