Duplicate "Open With" Options? Why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by polycat33, Oct 14, 2007.

1. polycat33 macrumors 6502

When I right click on a file and go to "Open With," for some file types it shows me duplicates of each application option. So it'll suggest Preview twice, Photoshop twice... any ideas on why it does that and how to make it stop?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

See here

As to why, do you clone your drive if so the applications get registered. I've had 4 repetitions appear once.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Thank you, I also had this problem and never bothered to look up an answer because it wasn't annoying enough :)

4. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

WOW, now I feel stupid. Yes, I have a clone of my drive. I kinda wondered in the back of my mind why when choosing open with, my external hard drive stars spinning. I made sure to exclude it in spotlight searches but never thought about it suggesting applications twice!

As for the tips at that link... should I do that with the external attached? Would it even help my case where the reason is that I really do have two of each application, just in different locations?

5. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

Launch terminal and paste this at the command line:
    Code:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/\Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister \-kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
    EDIT: Oops, answered by xUKHCx.

-mj

6. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

That and other operations will cause your HDDs to spin up but "Open with" should not show duplicate items.

Yes, the terminal command will rebuild your LauchServices database. It also can do no harm.

Makes no difference whether you execute the command with your HDDs mounted or not.

-mj

7. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thanks for the help, that's a useful thing to know for the future too in case it happens again or I have the problem of applications showing that aren't installed anymore. :)