Duplicate Photo Remover

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by danielowenuk, Nov 27, 2013.

1. danielowenuk macrumors 6502

I have a folder with a large number sub-folder and photos.

I want to remove the duplicates, but I don't want half in one subfolder and half in the other (if that makes sense).

Photos/2013/Weddings/Steve/photo1.NEF
    Photos/2013/Weddings/Steve/photo2.NEF

are the same as

Photos/2013/August/picture1.NEF
    Photos/2013/August/picture2.NEF

I don't want to end up with;

Photos/2013/Weddings/Steve/photo1.NEF
    Photos/2013/August/picture2.NEF

Any suggestions?

2. northerngit macrumors member

3. danielowenuk thread starter macrumors 6502

I had previously looked at Gemini but though £7 for this sort of app seemed a touch steep.

Might just have to stop being tight and get it purchased.

4. danielowenuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Stumped up the £7 last night, still needs a fair amount of management but overall I am happy with the purchase.

When there are two folders;

A.jpg
    B.jpg

and

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

Gemini doesn't offers A.jpg and 1.jpg as duplicate and I can remove either (say I remove A.jpg), the next offering I could remove 2.jpg which leaves the files a little messy, but I might just have to trawl through them after removing the duplicates to make things a little neater.

5. k.pavlikhin macrumors newbie

Daniel,

This sounds like a perfect task for the Singlemizer.

Singlemizer has a concept of folder priorities. Just like in your case, sometimes we have folders with original files and folders that are possibly full of duplicates.

You can download the app and find duplicates for free.

When you feed folders to the Singlemizer, specify them in order of decreasing significance. The app will use this information to chose original files among the duplicates. This way only duplicates from a particular folder will be deleted and originals will be kept together.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

Best wishes, Konstantin Pavlikhin.
    Developer of Singlemizer.

Attached Files:

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I can't help with an app to clean up what you have but you might want to consider migrating to a digital asset manager like iPhoto, Aperture, or Lightroom. Maintaining photos in a folder structure will only become more problematic as you increase your library.

7. Godf1st macrumors regular

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

This is (BY FAR) the best advice in this thread.

/Jim

9. danielowenuk thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree. And that is definitely the next step, I am looking to backup the photos to DVD prior to taking that step so removal of duplicates at a file level is required first.

Next step is import to iPhoto and begin to tag and rate etc

10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I would think that it would be a lot easier to get rid of duplicates once you do your original sorting within a DAM first.

/Jim

11. danielowenuk thread starter macrumors 6502

I could have the wrong idea, but in my experience with Lightroom (incredibly limited) it was an non destructive application, which is not really the desired effect. Also it would involve tagging/rating/naming more photos that I want to.

Nearly completed the removal with Gemini at the file level anyway, and I am eyeing up the different asset manager, I think it could be iPhoto first then Aperture at some stage, mainly because of the easier iPhone/iPad integration.

Plugged the wifes iphone in last night and having a direct backup to iPhoto is something I hadn't even considered (very new mac user).

12. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

not too much help here but I purchased Gemini a little bit ago. (Thought about the Mac Clean Sweeper or whatever their other app is called but that's like $30-40+) Anyway, Gemini is nice to get rid of lots of files, not just photos.

The other thing, once you have a DAM in place (I started with iPhoto and moved to Aperture last year) is to start looking at the photos I took about 10 years ago and looking back seeing they weren't in focus, DELETE. I used to think, "well, they aren't great but the moment I captured was good" and that style of thought just leads to more "mess"

Tagging and Rating are another great thing to get into...though it can seem more difficult, but once you can take a few moments and get some done, it helps.

**I will have to check out that Singlemizzer app

13. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The primary application of a DAM is photo organization. The editing capabilities (while good) are secondary.

It seems to me that if you organize first, Including the duplicates... then it become easier to remove dups.

/Jim

14. danielowenuk thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I am slightly stuck in my windows way, and I did want the specific JPEG/Raw files to backup instead of having just one library file (plus that won't fit on a DVD).

I do also have some video files that iPhoto won't support, so it could have been problematic trying to do it DAM first.

15. flynz4 macrumors 68040

iPhoto/Aperture/LR all allow you to keep your photos separate if you want. Even if you keep them in the library... all the pictures are still "in there" in a folder format. The program just removes the complexity for you.

Staying stuck in the "windows way" of doing things is like trying to run marathon with ball and chain attached to your leg.

Finally... backing up to DVD is the worst possible backup. They are tiny and they decay... and when that happens, the entire thing becomes unreadable. Just move to more contemporary backup including local drives, and cloud. You will be much better off.

/Jim

16. Drewski macrumors regular

I've been quite satisfied with Hyperbolic Software's "Tidy Up." I'm not comfortable generally handing over the decision making to an app, but Tidy Up will let the user make the call, or auto delete. So far, the logic has been perfect. Other apps may do the same, dunno. Lots of options, or run via wizard.

17. danielowenuk, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

danielowenuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Through some weird quirk involving photostream I seem to still have duplicates in my iPhoto library (although much less than before).

I have tried the iPhoto Duplicate Remover that didn't rid me of all duplicates, might try Duplicate Annihaltor as that seems a little more sophisticated.