Duplicate photos in collections?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Derek87, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Derek87 macrumors 6502

so i may be missing something, but i'm puzzled by the behavior of the new photos app.

i have the iPhone 6 and i set it up as new, so there are no extra photos lurking from prior installations*, and what i have observed is the following.

for all of the photos i have taken since this weekend, there are two copies of each in my "Collections" photos.

under the "recently added" album, there is one copy of each photo.

what is going on here? the only thing i can tell in the "collections" duplicates is that one copy can be deleted and marked as a favorite (the heart), and the other one only has the "forward" button (mail, message, etc.).

how do i change this behavior? i already miss the camera roll (because i typically combine photos from my iPhone with others which are taken from my computer and another camera -- i haven't done this yet), but this is odd and looks pretty lame...

* for the record, i actually set up the phone as new for a variety of reasons including an unknown 1000+ photos which couldn't be accounted for but listed as taking up space on my phone both within iTunes (when connected to my computer and in the "about" count. setting up the phone as new resolved this issue, but now i have this new one!

2. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

Are you certain that you aren't having HDR photos save the original copy? You can see this when you are scrolling through a photo, you will see one of the copies that has "HDR" on the screen. You can turn this off under settings.

3. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

no, these are not HDR photos as far as i can tell. not "HDR" on the screen. that was my first thought... these are truly identical...except for the thing i note about 1 being delete-able, and other not.

4. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I have the same issue except I couldn't delete either copy. Figured it's an icloud bug.

5. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

wow: now that's really weird. (not being able to delete either copy) i'm guessing the undeleteable one, in my case, is an iCloud photo stream version because the one found in "recently added" is delete-able.

what do you see in your recently added? can you delete those copies?

6. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

Only one copy in recently added. I'm actually having issues with my photo app which is likely related to iCloud and I'm thinking this is all related since iCloud isn't quite ready yet. It's driving me pretty nuts because I don't know if there is something I can do or if I just need to be patient & it will fix itself. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1787310

7. boomerang12 macrumors newbie

I read the OP's post and I have the exact same problem. Has anyone found a solution yet?

8. ryanbowlin macrumors member

I'm mostly interested in this issue. My new iPhone 6+ is going to be here today and I was getting my phone backed up and ready when I noticed I too had thousands of photos supposedly on my device. No idea why. And I can't get to them or delete them.

Maybe it has something to do with photo stream? Photo stream seems to be working for me (my photos are still coming off the phone and appearing in iPhoto) but I don't see any of my old photos on my actual phone. I have no idea what's going on. I was wondering if I should set my phone up as a new one as well. What a headache though.

9. sprice01 macrumors newbie

Im curious to find out what happened to the folder "camera roll" in photos?

10. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

short answer: camera roll no longer exists in ios8. the closest thing is "recently added" album but that could also include pictures taken on other devices.

i did ultimately set up my phone as new because i could never account for the few GB of space for photos that seemed to be invisible and eating up space on my phone. sort of a pain, but it was also freeing to set up the phone as new and clear away a lot of garbage behind the scenes, and apps i no longer use back from my iPhone 4 days (4->5->6).

11. boomerang12 macrumors newbie

Still no solutions to this duplicate photo problem?