Duplicate pictures in the All Images folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by motojavs, Feb 20, 2009.

1. motojavs macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I recently purchased a macbook pro after using PC for many years. All my pictures are on the iphoto application.

What I've noticed is that if I go to the All Images folder in Finder, I can see that I have duplicate pictures and all have different sizes. What I want to know if I delete them, would I delete the ones that are in iphoto? and is there an easy way to get rid of them.

2. Norouzi macrumors 6502

The "All Images" Folder in your Finder sidebar is actually a smart search that shows all the images it finds on your hard drive, this includes ones in your iPhoto Library.
    Let's say you import a photo into iPhoto from your desktop, it actually copies that photo from where it was into your iPhoto library folder ( usually "pictures/iphoto library"). You could then delete the image from your desktop and it would still be in iPhoto.

If you're in the "All Images" folder and highlight an image it should show the path to that image at the bottom. I wouldn't delete anything that shows as being in the iPhoto Library, but if you see the photo is located somewhere else on your hard drive and know that it is also in iPhoto you should be able to safely delete it.

3. motojavs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I can see the detail and the location of the photos. I can see that the same phone is under iphoto - data - and others are under iphoto - originals. Which picture is safe to delete?

Thanks

4. Norouzi macrumors 6502

I wouldn't delete anything inside the iPhoto Library, that can cause problems for your photos in iPhoto. It sounds like things are working normally, the duplicate photos your seeing inside the iPhoto Library are usually thumbnails, or photos you've edited and iPhoto has also saved the original.

It sounds like what you want is an image search that excludes the iPhoto Library, so you get the images on your computer minus the iPhoto Library. Unfortunately as of now I have not found a way to set this up, which seems strange because it sounds so simple.