Duplicate Recovered Tracks!?!?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by BicyclePunk, Dec 4, 2007.

1. BicyclePunk macrumors regular

Ok...don't know what's going on here. But I lost a lot of music by mistakenly deleting the music folder a while back. No worries. Almost all back to normal. Except for my recovered iTunes purchases. Here's the story:

My purchased music is showing up as missing in iTunes. No problem...insert recovery discs, choose 'delete originals' or whatever, then import the recovery tracks.

Now when I go back into iTunes after the import, and after restarting it, I now see duplicates for all of my previously missing tracks. Both tracks play normally. When I delete one of the duplicates, the other track won't play then.

So...how do I import my recovered files and not have to listen to each song twice?

Or is there another way? Thanks!

2. babyj macrumors 6502a

I had something very similar happen, it wasn't with purchased tracks but two copies were showing up and deleting one deleted both. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what I did to get round it.

Have you checked the folder the tracks are stored in (within your iTunes library) to see if there are copies already there?

3. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. Well, my music folder on the hard drive does, indeed, have only one copy of the tracks. So for one duplicate album, I went into iTunes, and selected all the duplicate songs. I hit delete, and was presented with "Are you sure you want to remove the selected songs from your iTunes, library?" I chose yes. Then I got a second prompt asking me "Do you want to move the selected songs (including those purchased from the iTunes Store) to the trash, or keep them in the iTunes Music folder?" I chose to KEEP those files. ANd it worked.

So I guess just the song listings are duplicated in my iTunes library. But the actual files are one, and only in the folder.

Seems to be working. Now I just have to go find all the duplicate and missing files and tracks. Fun!