Duplicate Time machine backups?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arigato56k, Oct 30, 2010.

1. arigato56k macrumors newbie

Hello I have a Mini (OSX 10.6.4) and a 1TB external drive that I use for TM. When I connect the drive two backups are made. They are the same size and contain the same number of files. Any idea why two backups are made?

James

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you taken a look at the Time Machine settings in System Preferences > Time Machine > Options?
    When exactly are the two backups made, parallel or serial or can't you discern that?

3. arigato56k thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe they are done in serial. When I connected the external drive this morning it only did one backup. I keep the external drive disconnected and powered off when it is not in use. Maybe I am leaving it on too long after the first backup and it is triggering a second one exactly one hour later?

I've included some screen shots.

Thanks,

James

Attached Files:

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

From the picture of your backup drive, assuming you actually have a MacBook and a Mac mini, that looks absolutely correct. Several backups, all at least an hour apart.

Just keep in mind, those extra folders aren't taking up more space, except for anything that's different. So even if it seemingly makes two "identical" backups, it's not using double space.

jW