Duplicate tracks - easy way to delete?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Lindat, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Lindat macrumors member

Hi,
    I don't know how it happened, but when I was syncing, a whole load of tracks were duplicated on my ipod. I have the old 60gb ipod, not the touch. Is there an easy way to ask I-tunes to delete duplicate tracks without me having to pick out every other track and manually delete it? I have already lost some tracks by doing this. It is such a laborious task!!! Any quick tips hugely appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Google "dougscripts iTunes"- there are several "duplicate remover" scripts there.

3. Lindat thread starter macrumors member

OK. I will go and check that out. Thanks. I realised last night after I'd posted the first message that I made an error. They didn't duplicate on my ipod, they duplicated on my actual pc for some reason. I want to remove them before I sync up. I don't know why I wrote it the other way round last night. I presume this program you have mentioned will also delete them from your pc if they are duplicated? Thanks again.

4. sneakyzeal macrumors member

If you go Menu > Show Duplicates it should show you all your double ups.

Hope this helps!

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're talking about a Windows PC, then no. Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes are Mac-only, as they use AppleScript, which doesn't run on Windows. This is why it's important that you give as much information as you can when asking for help. This being a Mac forum, the assumption is that you're running iTunes on a Mac, unless you say otherwise.

6. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

If you're on a Mac, in iTunes hold down Option and click File > Show Exact Duplicates.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The OP is looking for a way to automatically delete duplicates, not show duplicates:

8. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Yes, but once you have all duplicates shown, you can easily select and delete them.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that now. I wasn't sure if he meant pick out from the Show Duplicates screen, or from the main library screen.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Again, that's manual deletion, which the OP is trying to avoid. They're looking for an automated method.