Duplicates and file management in general

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Live Steam, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Live Steam macrumors regular

Why does OS X allow dupes to be created in the same folder? That really screwed my music library. Also I find sorting and file management in general to be tedious in OS X compared to Windows. Is there a good primer for working with files? And how about getting rid of all of those dupes in my music library? I thought if I cut and paste one file of .Mp3 to another it would consolidate my library and that if any dupes existed, they would not be written more than once as in Windows. XP asks if you want to "overwrite" the existing file not make another. Help is welcome.

2. McGiord, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

iTunes has a feature to find the duplicate songs.
    View Menu-> Show duplicate songs

A good MacOSX primer is Mac OS X Support Essentials 2nd Edition by Kevin M. White (for Leopard 10.5), cost around $35-50.

You are just used to navigate in the Windows explorer, I have been using a Mac since 1986 and the Finder is way better to navigate through your files, the search function is light years better and features like Quick Look, Cover Flow, Spaces and Expose are the real deal.
    Just use the Mac Help and you'll learn quickly many good ways to manage yor files. It's free.
    ________
    home made vaporizer

Attached Files:

3. Live Steam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I found the show duplicates item on the menu. I just wish that duplicates weren't created to begin with - at least not without my permission. There are more than 10,000 song titles on the list. There are probably almost twice that many Mp3s in the file because of the duplicates. Manually going through it is not an option. I found an app, but it's $25. iTunes should have the capability to do this chore at no extra cost. If I rememer correctly, WMP didn't have this flaw of allowing more than one instance of a song present in the library unless there were other attributes that were different other than the title.

Well I guess I have to add this to the other thread about hating something about Mac. Thanks for the recommend on the book. I'll lok into it.

4. McGiord, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Just some random thoughs of using WMP in your Mac:
    If you have Parallels Desktop you can run WMP and use it to do what you want, once you allow it to access you Mac HDD.
    Also you can copy all your music to an external HDD, then boot in windows via Boot Camp and use your WMP as you want.

Just remember that only a Mac will allow you to use Windows if you want to, however a Windows PC will not alloow you to use MacOS X when you want to...

And in iTunes inside the Preferences, Advanced tick the keep iTunes Music Folder Organized, with this feature it will keep all your music organized in folders by Artist, Record, etc.
    ________
    Ferrari 312 history