Duplicating External Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mxracer700, Aug 11, 2009.

1. mxracer700 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Been on here for years reading but never had to ask a question until today. Thanks for all the great info on here that is available through search! It has always got me where I needed to be.

Todays question:

Setup:
    Macbook 2.0ghz 10.5.7
    Drive 1: External USB 2.0 1.5 TB Seagate in Vantec Case (loaded)
    Drive 1: External USB 2.0 1.5 TB Seagate in Vantec Case (empty)

Mission: Recreate an exact copy of Drive 1 including native formatting onto drive 2.

Drive 1 came to me created by someone else on a pc. Whatever formatting it is makes it read only for me so I think it's not FAT32 or HFS. Some of the files are large (5gb) so maybe that is why. Guesses on format?

Although I can't write individual files to it I am wondering if any of the Mac drive copy software out there is able to create a duplicate in whole.

At this point I would like to know:

1. Can I do this using my Mac or do I have to commandeer a dreaded PC somewhere and figure out all that?
    2. If Mac can what is the easiest way for a 'noob to drive formatting' and such to go about accomplishing this? Software suggestions? Steps?

Thanks in advance for your collective experience!

MX

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

The format is NTFS. Mac can read it, but not write without addon such as ntfs-3g. Once you have ntfs-3g you can read and write the drive.

3. mxracer700 thread starter macrumors newbie