Duplicating home made Blurays

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thecounthahaha, Feb 24, 2014.

1. thecounthahaha macrumors regular

Hi,

I hope I have the right forum.

I've bought a samsung bluray drive which works really well reading and writing DVDs, and plays BluRays well too.

I create a lot of home made DVDs that I then use disk utility to create an image of. I can then burn that image to DVD whenever I need duplicates for sending off to festivals etc.

I need to do the same with blurays - I have a burner and some blank disks already. How do I create an image of the master (non copyrighted) BluRay so that I can burn off a copy as and when I need one?

I'm looking to create a disk image of some sort, exactly as the master bluray is so that when I burn it to a new disk it is like for like.

Is this possible with disk utility or will I need a different piece of software?

Thanks very much!

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

You may want to investigate Roxio's TOAST application.

3. JasonA macrumors member

Blu-rays are just like DVDs, only bigger. You should be able to make a disc image the same way. DVDs contain a VIDEO_TS folder with all of the content in it, whereas BDs have everything inside the AVCHD folder.

4. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

I had to create image files of a hundred or so Blurays last year - I used a free app called Burn!

Go to the Copy menu, drag the disk into the window & save as a disk image. It'll do exactly what you're asking for.

5. thecounthahaha thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, thanks for the help guys.

I've also found Aurora free bluray copy which looks like it'll do the trick too. I've already got Burn so will have a try with that too.

http://www.bluray-player-software.com/mac-bluray-dvd-copy.htm

Is Toast worth the extra money?

I'll be sending these to different places around the world - is there a region issue like with DVDs? If so, is there a way of making it region-free and definitely playable wherever?

Thanks!

6. JasonA macrumors member

Yes, Blu-rays can be region-coded, just like DVDs. It depends how the disc is authored. What are you using to author/create the Blu-rays? Toast is worth the money if you need a quick & easy way to author simple Blu-rays or DVDs without much in the way of menus.

7. thecounthahaha thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

It has been authored by a production house so I'm not sure what was used.

I'm currently using Burn to create an iso, will let you know how that goes. The Aurora free app supposedly created an iso but it was 500mb rather than 15gb so I'm treating that as being a rubbish app.

I've not found a way to see any information about the disk yet - is there a player or an app that will tell me anything about the disk? Mainly what region it is?

Thanks!

8. thecounthahaha thread starter macrumors regular

Tried multiple times now:

Aurora just creates a 50mb iso.

Burn unexpectedly quits at around the 40% mark.

If I buy Toast (11?) will I need any plugins to get it working properly? Is there a way of buying toast as a download rather than posted?

Will I also be able to properly copy the Bluray (containing a BDMV) so that any newly burned disks from the iso are duplicates?

Thanks!

9. thecounthahaha thread starter macrumors regular

Another update!

I've bought Toast 11 Pro and will let you know if that's solved all my issues.

Thanks again.

10. thecounthahaha thread starter macrumors regular

Toast was indeed the solution. Thanks very much. I now have a .toast file (which is a .iso) which I can burn whenever I want.

Some other things that helped were checking the disk is completely clean. There was a fingerprint on the bottom (not mine!) which was stopping the copy. I've wondered if that's what stopped Burn working too.

When burning a bluray my Samsung SE-506BB needs to be as close to 1x speed as possible or it fails around 80% through.

Thanks again for the help!

11. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Glad that Toast worked for you. Toast is the app that I have a love/hate feel about.

Having an m2ts file is not the same as a full Blu Ray disc for playback on a typical home Blu Ray player. The player is looking for other files that call the M2TS file. Computer disc players depend on the software to read the disc which is a bit different. (This paragraph is for anyone who wants to take an M2TS or TS file and get it onto a disc and play back on a typical Blu Ray player plugged into a TV or through an AVR etc.)