Duplicating old rMBP on New rMBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marc55, Nov 29, 2015.

1. marc55, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

We have an Early 2013 rMBP and just ordered a mid 2014 rMBP

I have the current 2013 backed up on an external WD hard drive using Time Machine.

I think I can use Migration assistant.

Do I have to name the new MBP the same as the current one?

Will all the settings etc be the same?

Thank you

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Migration Assistant is the easiest way to transfer your settings/accounts/data/apps.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

3. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

Thanks, I had read that. It says to transfer files; I'm more interested in knowing if I can transfer all my settings, etc.

I basically want my new MBP to be just like my current MBP

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I have used Migration Assistant many times and it has worked great for setting up the new Mac like my old one.

The only thing I like to do is to make a temporary User account different from the accounts that will transfer from the old Mac when you start the new Mac for the first time. Then I backup the new Mac on a external HD (I use a different HD than the backup from the old Mac). I do this in case there is a problem with the migration so I can easily restore the new Mac without having to use the slower Recovery partition to download and reinstall the OS. Then I run Migration Assistant.

Once the old accounts are transferred from the old Mac with Migration Assistant and you are happy with the performance then you can delete the new temporary account.

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

Hmm, that support doc lists settings as one of the many things that it copies. It's been my experience that it pretty much duplicates the computer.

6. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55