durability good enough to take a fall?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apple head, Aug 30, 2009.

1. apple head macrumors newbie

:(

i was babysitting 2 nights ago. my mbp was resting on a table no higher than 3 ft, it was in its usual speck case and incase patted bag. i was putting a dvd for the 1 1/2 to watch, while he grabbed the straps to my case and down it went to the rug :(

no, dents, no scratches, and screen is fine. went on fine, everything seems to be working normally. however, i do here little crackling when i press press down on certain areas. usually where my hands would rest. its very light crackling, that i may have heard before the fall. but now i dunno, i could be having a little case of ocd and becoming obsessed with the crackling, over worrying...

what do you think?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Could be the fall or could be your imagination. Apple notebooks aren't made to take a fall.

3. dunlapface macrumors newbie

This is true, but for the money that we pay for these things they should be indestructable.

4. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

People pay a lot for cars, they don't expect them to hit 18 wheeler unscathed.

5. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

+1

BTW, Toughbooks that have worse specs than MBPs cost more than MBPs do. That extra 1,000 or so is what one is paying to take that fall, although the floor might get dented;)

6. Alasta macrumors regular

Alasta

So it was in a case when it was dropped, and it hit a rug from a reasonably low height? I wouldn't have thought that would expose it to too much of a shock.

The hard drive is probably the most vulnerable component so if that's okay then I wouldn't worry about it. The aluminium casing might flex a bit by design.

7. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Indestructable is a big word... Anyway rugged laptops cost more than the MBP and they are neither as stylish or portable...

8. darkdream macrumors member

Apple laptops do not cost alot... they are rather well priced.

9. apple head thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i have a speck case on it and it was in an incase patted bag. thanks!