Durability of a MBP & its internal components.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derek.fulmer, Mar 10, 2012.

1. derek.fulmer macrumors member

derek.fulmer

Looking to start a discussion based on my MANY instances of bumping my office chair into my desk. I am using a decent IKEA model desk, as is my wife and hers is right next to mine. Any time she or I bump into the desk, even the slightest, our desks, everything on them including our MacBook Pros and their screens shake. It may not be violent, but is it something to be concern about over time? I worry about the jarring impact this may have on our computers and their hard drives and other internal components. It's incredibly frustrating and scary because I can't afford to just up and replace a computer out of pocket IF something where to happen due to these jarring impacts.

*edit* Just bumped into the BACK of the desk with my knee and the whole thing shook like never before. Angry? Yes. Frustrated? Very.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your computer has a sudden motion sensor, which is triggered by such jarring. You're fine.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're worried about it buy a sturdier desk.

4. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

Why don't you get a sturdier desk? It will always be cheaper than a new MBP :D

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Time for a new desk I'd say

As for the ikea desks, I have two for my daughters and they don't exhibit that issue at all. They feel very sturdy

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

IKEA and decent in one sentence. I stopped reading there!

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Well... then stop doing that.

8. derek.fulmer thread starter macrumors member

derek.fulmer

The desk is plenty sturdy. I didn't cheap out on the desk. The issue is the width of my chair compared to the width of opening of the desk. That's what causes the knocking.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That wouldn't help in this situation. A sms detects the g force when the laptop drops from the table and during the time the notebook is falling down the hdd head is parked safely away and nothing is harmed once it hits the ground.
    It is not like that simply helps with any kind of sudden motion.

An HDD can stand quite a bit of shaking though. If you are really worried or experience an hdd death or damaged sectors switch to an SSD.
    With an SSD in the system there is nothing that would experience any kind of damage unless it is such force that the whole case deforms.