Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Looking for some input on the 13" Macbook Pro with Retina display that I just bought this week. I have never owned one of these before, and have been wondering about some different cases and whether or not they'll scratch its surface.

I was originally going to go with an Incipio Feather, but after reading a lot of things online about how hard cases like that tend to scratch your computer by trapping debris underneath, I decided against it. I do not want to have to pop the case off every month to clean things out of it--I know from experience that doing that too much can ALSO scratch surfaces. I ended up going with a sleeve instead, specifically the Snugg sleeve listed here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DN6TSVA?&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

So far, I 100% love this sleeve. It fits my Macbook perfectly, and allows me to avoid any plastic hard cases that could damage my computer. However, I do wonder if the Macbook is proned to scratching from sliding in and out of a sleeve. The interior of it is Nubuck leather which is kind of like suede and seems very soft. I can't imagine a fiber like that can scratch metal, but as I said, I'm inexperienced as a Macbook Pro owner. I really want to keep this thing looking nice.

Anyone have any experience with this particular sleeve long term? Does it scuff up the Macbook over time? Out of hundreds of buyers on Amazon, I only see one person saying that the case scuffed up their computer.

Last edited:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The link doesn't work. For what it's worth I have the Incase ICON sleeve with Tensaerlite for my 13" Retina MacBook Pro. I'm happy with it. It can be difficult to take out the MacBook sometimes but as far as protection goes it gives more then most other sleeves out there and is still pretty slim in dimensions.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/H...29d0d6b96ce1a58568a3509f155fa593b2feecee949fa

I think I actually like yours even better than mine!! LOL

Here's the fixed link for the one I just bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DN6TSVA?&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Common sense tells me that Nubuck leather is not harder than alluminum and shouldn't scuff it up, but the OCD in me tells me otherwise.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Leather isn't going to scuff or scratch aluminum. If any debris gets in the sleeve, it could potentially.

Reactions: throAU

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Your new link works. To be honest I don't think that leather sleeve would give a lot of protection. The Incase ICON is more expensive at just over double the price but you get what you pay for and Incase has a pretty good reputation. I've had my MacBook for about three months and got the sleeve the same time I bought it and the Mac is still as good as new.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Your new link works. To be honest I don't think that leather sleeve would give a lot of protection. The Incase ICON is more expensive at just over double the price but you get what you pay for and Incase has a pretty good reputation. I've had my MacBook for about three months and got the sleeve the same time I bought it and the Mac is still as good as new.

My computer will barely be leaving the house--I work from home, so I'm not so worried about padding from drops as I am about scuffs and scratches from clumsiness or just my kids being kids and not being careful when I set it down somewhere. When I'm traveling, I'll probably put the Macbook Pro in the sleeve and then inside my computer bag.

I do like that ICON case though--very nice!

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Leather isn't going to scuff or scratch aluminum. If any debris gets in the sleeve, it could potentially.

That's kind of what I was thinking too--surely a piece of sand or a rock getting in there could make scratches, but I just don't see that happening. I will not even put my laptop down anywhere that doesn't have a clean surface. I wipe and dry our kitchen table before I will set it there. I'm extremely particular about my gadgets.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Well....I've been using the Snugg sleeve for about a week now. It's not scuffing or doing anything else bad to the Macbook Pro's finish. I've also read some reviews online from people who have used these for months on end and haven't had any problems at all. I think I am going to rest easy for now, but am still nervous about any dings or marks on this computer. It's so freaking pretty!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Well....I've been using the Snugg sleeve for about a week now. It's not scuffing or doing anything else bad to the Macbook Pro's finish. I've also read some reviews online from people who have used these for months on end and haven't had any problems at all. I think I am going to rest easy for now, but am still nervous about any dings or marks on this computer. It's so freaking pretty!

They will happen eventually it is impossible to avoid them alltogether and use the machine as a laptop, however mine is 18 months old and apart from a couple of scratches on the bottom and a tiny nick in the edge of the top case it's pretty good and I never use anything but a standard laptop bag.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
They will happen eventually it is impossible to avoid them alltogether and use the machine as a laptop, however mine is 18 months old and apart from a couple of scratches on the bottom and a tiny nick in the edge of the top case it's pretty good and I never use anything but a standard laptop bag.

Yeah--seems to me that a good way to avoid any unnecessary marks is to NOT use one of the hard shell snap on cases. I'm going to stick with this sleeve and/or a laptop bag.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
I took your advice and ordered a matte full body best skins ever setup. I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot about how to apply. Any advice you have for me as far as application?

Easy to apply just take your time.
Use lots of spray on the skin and your hands to make adjusting easier
Dust free room if possible - on a hard clean surface
Gently squeegee out the excess water with something like credit card
Don't stress too much about little bubbles - usually disappear after few days
If the corners on the bottom where there is a convex compound curve don't stick right away just leave for a while - as the skin drys will stick.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
My computer will barely be leaving the house--I work from home, so I'm not so worried about padding from drops as I am about scuffs and scratches from clumsiness or just my kids being kids and not being careful when I set it down somewhere. When I'm traveling, I'll probably put the Macbook Pro in the sleeve and then inside my computer bag.

I do like that ICON case though--very nice!

I've had an MBP for 4 years now and it does not have scratches or scuffs. I have a couple of tiny tiny pin prick dents in it that you need to look for.

That machine has traveled a lot, went through about 8 countries in Europe, US, Canada, etc.

I've never used a sleeve, I just carry it in a backpack and try not to sit it down on junk or hard rough surfaces like bricks.

In my experience - the machine will be worthless by the time you scuff it up significantly, unless you're really abusive with your gear (based on the fact that all MacBooks are made of the same aluminium).

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Easy to apply just take your time.
Use lots of spray on the skin and your hands to make adjusting easier
Dust free room if possible - on a hard clean surface
Gently squeegee out the excess water with something like credit card
Don't stress too much about little bubbles - usually disappear after few days
If the corners on the bottom where there is a convex compound curve don't stick right away just leave for a while - as the skin drys will stick.

Thanks.

What I'm thinking of actually doing as well--at least for the large top and bottom pieces--is having my wife be in charge of two corners while I'm pulling it off the back, and then I'll be in charge of the other two corners once it comes off the backing. I think as long as we're careful not to stretch it while laying it down on the Mac, it should help with alignment and initial bubbling.

Do you see value in turning this into a two person process? I can't imagine it would hurt.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
Thanks.

What I'm thinking of actually doing as well--at least for the large top and bottom pieces--is having my wife be in charge of two corners while I'm pulling it off the back, and then I'll be in charge of the other two corners once it comes off the backing. I think as long as we're careful not to stretch it while laying it down on the Mac, it should help with alignment and initial bubbling.

Do you see value in turning this into a two person process? I can't imagine it would hurt.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
Thanks.

Why not try 2 people.
The skin is a bit stretchy but is elastic so will return to original size - if you don't stretch like crazy.
Make it quite wet and it will slide around so you can adjust the alignment after you lay it down. So the initial placement doesn't have to be perfect.
Important to turn off the MacBook
And spray the skin until it's dripping.
I make my own spray - small spray bottle with one drop of plain clear shampoo.
And I wipe off the MacBook with a lense wipe first to be sure no grease or dirt

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Why not try 2 people.
The skin is a bit stretchy but is elastic so will return to original size - if you don't stretch like crazy.
Make it quite wet and it will slide around so you can adjust the alignment after you lay it down. So the initial placement doesn't have to be perfect.
Important to turn off the MacBook
And spray the skin until it's dripping.
I make my own spray - small spray bottle with one drop of plain clear shampoo.
And I wipe off the MacBook with a lense wipe first to be sure no grease or dirt

How do you avoid the spray from dripping into the vents on the bottom of the notebook? Just keep a towel handy?

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
Not as big a deal as you would imagine.
I use the dried lens wipes around the edges - lint free.
If you have a towel near may pick up bits of fibre.
After applying to bottom just turn over and any excess liquid drains away.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010

Turns out that making it a two person job was the right way to go. My wife would peel, I would spray, and we would each take a side or pair of corners. It was still a pain in the butt, but I bet it's much worse without help.

I am noticing now that everything is on, there is some moisture visible underneath--not bubbles, but areas where there is still obviously some water. I'm assuming that goes away over the next day.

Also, I tossed the trackpad cover, but I did use the wrist guards.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010

So once my top cover fully dried out, I noticed one corner hanging over. I contacted bestskinsever and they actually sent me a new top for free! It's supposed to be here tomorrow. I just couldn't live with that corner hanging over the edge like that--we did such a nice job lining things up on the rest of the laptop, that corner was driving me nuts.

Still loving the look of this cover though--so glad I attempted this. It was a little scary putting wet plastic sheets all over my new computer, but doing that plus keeping it in a sleeve or laptop bag seems to be the ideal solution rather than having it in a hard cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.