Durability of the Screen Glass

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jblock, Oct 17, 2008.

1. jblock macrumors regular

This is my number one concern. I like the new design, but this is a notebook that's going to be moved around a lot, not like the iMac which sits in one place.

I've never dropped a laptop, but sometimes when it's in a briefcase it can fall over and most importantly when I travel (which is a bit) I'm not going to be crazy about the new Macbook going into a security bin or sitting in my carry-on luggage.

Anyone else have concerns about the glass?

2. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

glass is probably tempered, its quite strong and scratch resistant obviously(hardness, u need something like diamond to scratch glass)
    also the unibody style allows any impact to be spread out rather than focused on a specific region.

3. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

I had read in a review that the glass has a little bit of flex to it. However I myself wonder how the cold will affect it.

I guess we pretty much have to wait and see. Such is the problem with first gens, it is difficult to understand/foresee the limitations of the product.

4. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

if the iphone is any indication of the glass quality on the macbooks then I would assume it is the same. My iphone 2g's glass was still pristine after a year and half of being shoved into and pulled out of my jeans and several drops