Durability: rMBP 13" vs 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rMBP13, Feb 25, 2013.

1. rMBP13 macrumors member

Which one do you guys think is more durable in the long run? I'm planning to get either one, but hope to keep it for like 5 years. Which one will be able to last longer in the end?

2. leman macrumors 604

Whether or not you machine survives 5 years, is up to just your luck. There is nothing inherently more durable about any if these computers. The 15 model is a quad core and it has a significantly faster GPU, so it might be less useless in 5 years if you want to play a game or two.

3. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

rIf you're just talking about the longevity of the chassis... one of my coworkers let me look at his 2008 15" Pro. It has suffered multiple drops, is dented on every external surface, and is starting to buckle along the left side- the ethernet port is no longer remotely square. The computer works fine.

I don't know how it's possible to take care of a $2000 computer so poorly, nor would I dare to recommend doing so, but as far as durability you can't really go too wrong with any of the unibody designs. Seems to me a more compact frame cut from the same thickness of aluminum might have a slight advantage, but I could be wrong.

4. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

From a heaviness standpoint, the cMBP and rMBP whether in the 13 or 15inch varient are worlds apart. However they are both unibody aluminum and should stand the test of time the next few years!

As for the 13 and 15inch rMBP, It really comes down to what your using your machine for and what not, if your talking about straight build quality, either one should be fine. If your going to need that Quad Core like someone mentioned, then of course you'd be better off looking at the 15inch varient, especially if your into some occasionally gaming.

I just got a 13inch rMBP and plan on keeping it for at least the next 3 years, 5 may be pushing it IMO, and thats only because god only knows what kind of technology we'll be touching upon in the next few years. But for now, the 13 is perfectly fine for what I use it for.

5. Artagra macrumors member

They are very similar systems, so I would imagine overall they would have similar reliability.

In favour of the rMBP 15", you can say that because the current ones now are a new revision, they hopefully ironed out some small issues that the first ones had.

On the other hand, the rMBP 13" has lower power components (no dedicate GPU, 35w dual core CPU), so you may have less heat related issues in the long term.

Overall, Macbook Pros are very reliable, as laptops go. Best you can do is be careful and look after it. But at the end of the day, as other's have mentioned luck plays a big part - I've had machines I treated with kid gloves give issues, while friends of mine have caused all types of dings without any issues.

6. rMBP13 thread starter macrumors member

Great in that case I'll probably go with the 15" to meet my gaming needs