During battery calibration mbp turned off instead of sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by interconnect, Sep 11, 2010.

1. interconnect macrumors regular

interconnect

Ok, so I just did a battery calibration and once the battery got really low, it shut off, but didn't go to sleep like it has done before. It completely turned off; the battery light indicator is not indicating it is asleep. I've never seen it do this, has anyone else had this happen? I have a 2006 MacBook Pro, 2.33 C2D, non-unibody.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your Macbook misjudged the remaining battery life and died before it went into sleep. Mine does this sometimes, it's normal for a battery of that age.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong with that.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

4. interconnect thread starter macrumors regular

interconnect

Well, my battery is about a year old, it was replaced by Apple just before my AppleCare ran out. That is what I thought though, it's just never done that whenever I've calibrated. I just thought it was strange that it did actually run all the way down to 0% and then shut down instead of going to sleep.

5. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

My battery was about 18 months old when this started happening to me. I tried everything from calibration to PRAM reset etc, but it still kept just shutting off instead of going into sleep mode. The Battery Health said it was due for replacement so I took it in to Apple and they said it was beyond the number of cycles they normally replace them under warranty, but said if I was willing to wait for Apple to send a replacement battery they could do the swap out for free, so of course i waited and got the free battery.

The new battery lasts much longer than I ever remember the old one lasting and it's just so refreshing to know I can let it run out on me and when I plug it back in it will be right where I left off.