During class, weird to have both MBP+iPad 2 out on desk?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by katyoshi, Mar 28, 2011.

1. katyoshi macrumors 6502

I'm fortunate to be on large desks in grad school. More like long conference like tables. Anyway, do you guys think it's weird to have both an iPad 2 + 15" MBP (2009) on my desk during lectures for nursing school? Just wondering cuz I'd thought the iPad could supplement my learning during class and I know the iPad can't replace the power of note taking of the MBP...But I want your opinion!

2. jamesbond05 macrumors member

jamesbond05

Some people might think that you're just tryna show off but if it helps in your learning and understanding of the class subject then you should go ahead and do it. Its all about your grade. Do what works best. Personally I take my ipad only to dead boring classes and read soccernet.com

3. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Not weird if you get a date out of it.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Why do you have both devices out? what do you do on each individual device that warrants them both being out?

Does one device accomplish a specific task better than the other device?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I would be like "really now?"

But then again, I have never once used my laptop during a class in my hs/undergrad and grad school days

6. MasonH macrumors member

Yeah you'll look like a geek and a half... just half kidding:D

7. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

8. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

was going to say this lol

9. Heavyhitter504 macrumors member

it'll definitely get you a lot of attention(unwanted or not) from other classmates, but if it supplements your learning then i don't see a reason not to use both. I used both for my microbiology class last semester b/c i needed the ipad to draw the diagrams and used the mbp for lecture notes.. to each his own i guess

10. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

I would have to agree on that one...:D

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll just choose one or the other because now when i think about it for what I'm doing, I may get confused going back and forth the iPad and mbp. BUT, I'll bring both to class anyway to use in pertinent situations. Like today, we had group activities that required the use of my mbp since my partner didn't have his computer/iPad.

I noticed I use my iPad more since it has 3G and I have the data plan to use when I'm in an area on campus with congested or weak wifi signal. Even in one of my classes, there is weak wifi but strong 3G signal. Give and take here..

11. rondz macrumors regular

rondz

I did this in one of my English classes and it wasn't a big deal. This was when the first iPad came out, I brought both my MBP (2007) and iPad to class and only took out the iPad when lecture was getting too boring and repetitive. I'd just share the fun and play games with the people that sat next to me and battle for high scores. Bring both and do it because you can!

12. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

^This sounds like a plan :)

13. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure if I want to play games in a class that deals with topics in patient care just because I'm bored. :rolleyes:

14. rondz macrumors regular

rondz

Yeah, just bring your MBP then...my school is a tech school and yours is for caretaking, don't want you to misdiagnose anyone. :p Use it for the best learning experience for your field.

15. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback! :)

16. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

17. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I wondered about that as well…

So yes, OP, since it is the 2009 MBP you're excused.
    Although if other people in your class think you're an arse, then on your head be it.

18. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

19. btownguy macrumors 6502

Personally, having finished school last year I can see a big benefit although I've never done it before. The MBP is great for taking notes (use Evernote or something similar). However, if you ever have to draw diagrams or graphs it can be very difficult on the MBP. if I had had an iPad with Penultimate next to me I could have very easily jotted down every graph quickly and easily while keeping my text notes up on the MBP screen.

Dorky, yes. A little showoff-y? Indeed. But useful? No question.

I say do it.

20. Rafterman macrumors 68000

For me personally, its probably overkill. But if it works for you, then its fine and no one else should judge.

21. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

OP- I had the same "issue" yesterday. I was using the iPad to display PDF articles and typing notes on my MacBook. I definitly felt like a douche though, but whatever because it was functional and it saved me a ton of time.

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think it may give classmates and possibly the instructor the impression that you are distracted by your gadgets--which is not a good thing.

However, if your textbook is loaded onto your iPad -- and you are using your mbp to take notes than fine. If not, I'd like to know why you would need the iPad in addition to the MBP in class--other than you just got it and want to have it around all the time.

23. apd8 macrumors member

Yeah I think it's not weird, but I personally would find it confusing switching back and fort like you said.

This is a good point though, but if you decide to use both, they will eventually understand.

24. Built macrumors 68020

Not weird at all. I, for example, travel with both an iPad and my MBP (2010), and both are open on my hotel room desk the entire time I am there.

The hell with what anybody thinks. If they think it's weird, they're just jealous. :)

25. Carouser macrumors 65816

Yes, it is weird. Whether people should think that or not is irrelevant, because they will think it anyway. It's not because they are jealous. That's a self-serving delusion.

They may think
    - you have more money than sense
    - you are a nerd
    - you are showing off
    - you are preoccupied with gadgets over the substance of the class

Even if you don't care what they think, I really doubt that the iPad and MBP both open on the desk during class will help you meet your academic goals any better than just the MBP.