Dust accumlation inside your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bankaimadness, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

You guys ever had to disassemble your macbook pro to clean the inside?

I am scare and very paranoid that I will have to do that someday, since I don't want to risk such an expensive machine.

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Open it up and blow it out. It's gets easier every time, and it'll last longer that way. But be careful; don't hurt anything.

3. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you get the Geniuses to do it for you?

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I suppose you could, but I don't know why you would. I don't particularly like strangers touching my equipment if it's not completely necessary.

In all seriousness, it's not hard.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just make sure you have the right tools for the screws and such
    It is worth investing in a tool pack that is right for the job
    You can check Other World Computing, etc. for the right tools

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

^ this. And, they have excellent instructional videos too.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

My MBP 2007 model didn't have problems with dust.
    I opened it several times, to change HD and RAM etc, never had to clean out much dust.
    My sisters MB (2006) on the other hand has a huge problems with dust, I couldn't believe how much dust you could fit inside it!

I have yet to open my i5 MBP, I've had it since it was released and I guess it's soon time to pop in a Hybrid SSD or something :)
    (SSD ain't an option yet, since I have both vmware with xp and ubuntu + bootcamp partition, so 250GB is the absolute minimum and I'm not really up for putting out $500)

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Dust'll pop up but it won't be extremely bad. I typically have a very thin visible layer after 2 years of usage. Some compressed air will take care of that easily.

9. Retrostarscream macrumors member

Retrostarscream

I figure no one will treat the computer quite as well as the owner. If you want something done right, no one better at that task than yourself.

10. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I dunno what MBP OP has, but I'm in this boat. I have a MBP1,1 and when I opened my MBP to clean inside, I realized there wasn't much to clean (this was in 2009 and I bought my MBP mid 2006). I have no clue about the uMBP though.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

my Late-2008 MacBook Pro (unibody) is about a year and a bit. Was curious to see if there was any dust so I removed the bottom plate to see it. There was barely any dust to be found at all. There were specs of dust here and there but for the most part it was pretty damn clean.

12. Kahalu'u Bob macrumors 6502a

Kahalu'u Bob

This may depend on where you live as much as anything. In Hawaii, we have humidity but very little dust. In Dallas, there is less humidity but a lot more dust. Your mileage may vary. . . .

13. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

I was wondering if its more viable to put your macbook pro in your bag when you are not using because it would help block out dust.

14. moel macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that if your computer is off then the fans aren't drawing air thru the body of the macbook.

So you'll find that the dust accumulation is from powered use of the computer.

Dust isn't capable of travelling of it's own volition, it's subject to the airflows and vortices around it.

15. Brinkman macrumors 6502

Brinkman