Dust and the new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jmouse, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Hi folks,

I've got my new iPad today. I was so scare to open it up, because of worring that the ipad isn't pefect to the T. Anyway i Inspected it and am now using it.

First thing i check is dead pixel than dust under glass than cosmetic.

Fortunately, I've got no cosmetic issue at all. It's nice and such.
    However, I found few spec of dust under the glass and a little smudges on one of the corner.

Now I know after putting a screen protector on it I will notice it alot less.

My question is that, does most of you doesn't care about the dust since you can't "really" sees it when using the iPad.

I've gone thur alot of iPads and MOST of them has one or two spec of dust under the glass. So I'm now a bit over the whole nothing under the glass thing.

I know I can get it replaced at apple but I risk of having a unit that has bad cosmetic condition being a refurb. I know because most refurb that u get has some sort of scratches or marks on the aluminum / bezel area.

What am I suppose to do. I ask this because I honestly doesn't know. May be some of you have some experience in overcoming the ocdness. Or Should I just get it replace and never be happy again.

Nice screen none the less, thank you for your time.

2. henriknorem macrumors member

Refurbs have had their casing changed so they don't have any scratches.

I think I would switch, the dust might get annoying when reading.

3. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

If you get it swapped out it wouldn't even be refurb, they will give you a new one in a normal iPad box if its within the first 30 days.

4. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm thinking not to replace it since I believe most of them have dust underneath.

Convince me ppl please.

5. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Absolutely the case that many if not most have dust under the screen. I've bought all three generations of iPads and they've all had a speck or two. On the 1, it's funny because I didn't even notice until a year after I got it. The dust on the 2 was spotted during screen protector installation but doesn't bother me one bit. I can barely see it when the iPad is on, and only if I'm really looking for it. Same with my 3.

Unless the dust is glaringly obvious and you don't notice if you're not looking for it, I'd just live with what you have if everything else about it is fine.

6. -TYLER macrumors regular

Bring it to your local apple store to swap it out, when you get a new one inspect it there.

7. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

I had a lot of problems with dust in the iPad 2. My first one had no dust at all until about 3 weeks later--it started to collect large white chunks of dust in the top right corner. It bugged me, so I returned. I ended up returning 2 more for the same problem. Eventually I just decided to quit worrying about it.

I've had my new iPad since launch in March and it has zero dust under the screen and no other problems either. I'm very happy about that. At the risk of jinxing my happiness, I'm also going to say that I have noticed no dead pixels. I thought I saw a couple when we were on vacation right after I got it, but I have never been able to find them again, even after looking really hard to find them.

I still have not seen an iPad 3 in real life that has the issue with the weird colors. I know lots of people now who have bought them and nobody has said anything about it, nor have I noticed it on anybody's screens.

8. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Why do you need someone to convince you of an untruth that you apparently came up with on your own? I don't know if I would replace an iPad for that issue (depends on how obvious it was), but I certainly wouldn't make the silly assumption that all of them have the same issue. Mine doesn't.

9. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

I do believe none dust under the glass iPad does exist but rarely.

Have you try using a flashlight to look at it when the screen is off?

Seriously I've gone thur a lot to makes me believe most of them are like that mine is from a brand new box.

10. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Why would I look for something that I obviously can't see when I'm actually using the device? I suppose you could be right, but I've yet to see any dust in the two months I've been using mine, which in my opinion is the entire point.

11. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Have you see the images of the factory environment where iPads are assembled.

It's a long long LONG way away from a sterile clean room I'm sorry to say.

It's a shame this can't all be done by robots in a clean environment as opposed to cheap human labour who naturally all vary in how well they work, their skill level, their care and their bodies/hair even.

I'm sure many of us know from personal experience how some people are meticulous in their work and others are a bit sloppy despite having the same tasks to do and the same training.

Until robots assemble them it's going to be hit and miss

12. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Yes, because it's so much more important to have pristine iPads than employing human beings and allowing them to feed their families. :rolleyes:

13. Enlightenment1 macrumors regular

I know what you're saying but you also have to remember, many of us work long, hard hours to be able to save up for such luxuries as iPad's, MBP's, iPhone's, etc. and it's very disheartening when you find dust, hair, smudge marks, etc. in/on your brand new device.
    Should we simply accept these things because they're made in China by poor people? If we all accepted this poor type of QC then it would only get worse. People should make their issues known with Apple regarding this kind of thing and just hope they're taking it on board, though I'm doubtful as there are so many more who just accept it.... for whatever reason.

Catch 22 springs to mind on this issue.

14. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

No, I agree with your ultimate point. But I'd also like to think that quality can be raised without furthering the process of replacing humans with machines. I'm not against machines, but at some point machines will do all the menial tasks and then where will the less financially fortunate wind up?

15. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

People without any dust or marks under their iPad 3, did you look at it at direct sunlight/ flashlight or it is under normal lighting environment?

I ask this is because when I use a led flashlight I see alot of dust underneath the glass, is this normal? By alot I mean at least 7 specs if not more.

Cheers

16. taipan61 macrumors 6502

WOW?!...really?

17. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

18. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

This is normal if you use a flashlight and look extremely closely. Almost none of these specks of dust will be visible under normal lighting conditions.

Folks, these things are not assembled in dust-free clean rooms (nor are most other consumer electronics). I'd wager that every single iPad has at least a speck of dust. The question is whether it obstructs your usage of the device. If it does, return it.

19. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

This has got to be the craziest thing I have ever read. I understand inspecting your new device, but this is just an unhealthy extreme.

To each his own i suppose, but I have way better things to spend my life on. Like using the device i just bought.

20. seajewel macrumors 6502

While I'm one of the unfortunate who received iPads with weird tinting issues, I think something that is only visible when the unit is off under a flashlight is really a non-issue. It's issues that bother me during USE that I find problematic.. I'd stick with it.

21. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

So may be I will stick with it.

It's a hard learning process but I will try to learn to live with it.

I am wondering those Other people who have complaint about the dust under the screen, how can you see them? With flash.ight? Normal lighting? Or bright sunny day ( outdoor )?

22. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Return it! I've lost count of the number of times I've been using my iPad with my LED flashlight trained dead centre on the screen, and the dust irritates me!

It's embarrassing, too. Sometimes I show colleagues or clients the iPad, and when they view the material with their own LED torches, they always say "Damn, that's a dusty panel". I tell them the dust is under the glass of their torch, but they know.

They know.

23. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

So why would you and your colleague use a flashlight while using the ipad?
    Do you now have a dust free panel now?

If I return it I'm 99% sure I won't get a dust free unit. Then when u get a dust free unit, the home button doesn't work or there's scratches / dings marks on the cosmetic side of the body. I've seen alot.

So now I'm not sure what to do, it's killing my interest for the iPad. It's kind of sad.

24. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

... That was sarcasm (his post). Anyway, just return it-you've been harping on it for days. You'll never be happy until you get one without the dust, so do it or return it for good. I learned my lesson a while back and whenever I order an Apple product I order two and return whichever is the problem. That's worked for me twice now- just bought two iPad 2s refurbed and one had dust under the screen I could see when using it- so, that's the one I returned. Print out a return label, slap it on the box, send it out, be done with it and everything is good. Give that a shot next time- you may still get two lemons, but your odds will be doubly as good to receive an acceptable unit.

25. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Exactly his point.

:facepalm: