Dust Bunnies and Temperature Drop

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by filmweaver, Aug 26, 2010.

1. filmweaver macrumors regular

I just cleaned my Mac Pro after 1 year and WOW, did I ever have an eye opener. The clumps of dust that blew out were amazing, I cleaned it occasionally with a fine brush and vacuum cleaner to pick the dust from the air. This time I used an air hose and my air compressor and WOW what a difference. I have seen my temps go down by 20 degrees across the board on my memory with iStat Pro. I guess this was a good thing.

Now I need to come up with a filter of some kind, as I really don't care how it looks, as long as it is functional.

2. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

I would just clean it once in a while ?

just use a piece of screen it keeps the big stuff out ?

the reason I would clean once in a while is if you let it get that dirty and dont clean the filter you cut out the main flow of air ! and things can get just as hot

I just wipe the front once a week with a towel and open it up once in a while and gives me a chance to look at the inside etc.. use air and a vacum but I dont vacum the parts ! just use it to catch the blown out air

not a big brushing fan unless its a antistatic brush dont want to temp my static abilities :)

3. tengo84 macrumors newbie

I use the blower end of a shop vac to clean my computers. Not too close though. I read it's important to prevent the fans from spinning during cleaning, because they might spin too fast and break. I've made some huge dust clouds, don't do this inside the house!

Haven't heard of air filters for computers. I would worry they might obstruct air flow too much and make it hotter, maybe worse than the dust itself if left unchecked too long.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've need to do cleaning about once every two weeks or so. Usually I can see a layer collect after a couple days, but usually not enough for a full cleaning.

Well I installed an air filter last week, and well it seems pretty clean inside so far.

5. donw35 macrumors regular

donw35

It depends on your environment but I clean out with compressed air every three months, I always hold the fans from spinning while blowing the air, over spinning the fans can break them or they will be very noisy after your done.

6. filmweaver thread starter macrumors regular

All good tips and suggestions, thanks. I tried to not direct the air directly at the fans, I used a quick left to right motion while using air pressure. This presumably stops the fans from spinning up to high. The reason for fan failure is over spinning the bearings in the fans, I've seen people do it to wheel bearings when they are cleaning them out. Once you over spin them they are usually galled up and need to be replaced.

I guess one could sick a piece of thin stiff wire through the grill to stop the blades too.

Thanks again, all.