Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ataylor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
there is a small speck of something on the inside of my iMac screen. at first i thought it was a dead/stuck pixel, but closer observation reveals that it's a little particle on the inside of the screen. i've tried tapping the glass lightly to try to dislodge the speck but so far no luck.

is this something that i can fix myself? i've recently had the lcd replaced in my computer, could it have gotten in there when they did that? should i take it back and ask them to clean the inside of the glass? i assume it would be a quick process, will it be covered under warranty? any ideas?

thanks.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
is this something that i can fix myself? i've recently had the lcd replaced in my computer, could it have gotten in there when they did that? should i take it back and ask them to clean the inside of the glass? i assume it would be a quick process, will it be covered under warranty? any ideas?

Not if you value your warranty, probably, yes, yes, always.

Even if your computer was not under warranty, any reputable repair shop should correct damage to your computer sustained during repair. It's pretty hard for them to argue that the speck of dust isn't their fault.

Anyway, with the right tools, it should be a matter of minutes for them to correct.

raziel777

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2009
League City, Texas
there is a small speck of something on the inside of my iMac screen. at first i thought it was a dead/stuck pixel, but closer observation reveals that it's a little particle on the inside of the screen. i've tried tapping the glass lightly to try to dislodge the speck but so far no luck.

thanks.

I have used a couple of pieces of duct tape on my 24 inch imac. Just put it on the top corners and pull back. Comes right off. Then I wipe down the inside of the screen and place it back. As I place it back, I use compressed air to blow any dust out as I put it back on. Works like a charm.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
I have used a couple of pieces of duct tape on my 24 inch imac. Just put it on the top corners and pull back. Comes right off. Then I wipe down the inside of the screen and place it back. As I place it back, I use compressed air to blow any dust out as I put it back on. Works like a charm.

But does the duct tape leave any residue? But if it works I guess it would be easily cleaned huh?

raziel777

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2009
League City, Texas
But does the duct tape leave any residue? But if it works I guess it would be easily cleaned huh?

Thats the residue I'm talking about. The tape only goes on the upper corners enough to grip the screen. There is really only a residue if the tape stays on an extended period of time. Then use iklear-apple screen cleaner- and it's as good as new.

weekendsrule32

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey
if the imac is the new aluminum imac, the screen cover is held in with magnets. Take a razor and carefully slip it between the black edge on the screen and the aluminum and pop it off. i have done this plenty of times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.