Dust, dust, dust!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tempto, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Tempto macrumors member

Hello forum,

I keep finding that there is dust under my iMac screen. When I remove the glass planel to clean it and put it back, there is inevitably ALWAYS some dust that gets in between the second I wipe the screen and second I put it on. I know it's just a very simple thing yet it is really really annoying me. I've spent hours over the past few weeks doing this and it's driving me mad. All I want is a screen with no dust.

I heard I can use canned air. If so, how exactly would I go about doing this? Spraying the canned air inside? Thanks.

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

canned air ony really works inside the imac (cleaning logicboard/processor heatsinks and such , sure you can blow the dust behind the glass away, like you do if you wipe the dust off , take suction cup and lift of the glass and blow the dust away

your first goal has to be to eliminate the source of dust

3. Tempto thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. But I don't really know the source of the dust, it's just in my room I guess. But it's practically everywhere anyway.

4. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Dust will always be a problem until Apple stop using glass panels.

5. Tempto thread starter macrumors member

Of course it will, but surely there must be a way to minimize dust under there? At all?

6. mattg3 macrumors 6502

I think the minute you start taking off the glass you open yourself up to dust.Dont ever remove glass and just ignore the few particles under glass it shipped with.

7. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I'm in the market so to speak for a new iMac, I currently have a 3 year old 24" iMac.

Seeing this dust thread, and looking at the new iMacs I realize a difference and possible contributor to the dust issue.

I should add that my iMac operates in a dusty environment ( Apple commented on the amount of dust inside when they repaired a bad HDD ). However I do not have a problem with dust behind the screen.

My old 24" iMac is built differently and possible better than the new ones.

My glass screen sits inside the housing, that is the aluminum surrounds the panel and the panel is flush inside the housing.

On the new 27" iMacs that is NOT the case. The panel sits on top of the aluminum housing with glass from edge to edge ( on the sides ) and to the top edge. I was actually able to move the glass from one side to the other slightly with just a little finger pressure.

Could this be a problem for dust, especially if for some reason the seal of the glass to the housing is not 100%?

I still may get a new 27" iMac, but I am considering a 'fix' for what I see as a potential issue.

I'd rather see them NOT SHIPPED with even a few particles of dust under the screen, considering how easy it is to control dust in a manufacturing environment.

8. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Of course I agree,no dust should be the norm but as I type I see that little speck in the right corner near the dock and if i keep looking at it I will end up taking off the glass and then all bets are off.Hope my OCD doesnt get the best of me.

9. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

whats the glas panel for anyway ? a dust trap?
    just take it off , its only making the display more glossy and collects dust

i have a old white core duo iMac and no glass and no dust to see ;)