Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomadpass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
How is the dust situation? It has the grill casing, leaving the inside exposed. Over time how is it when you open it up?

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
filthy, compressed air comes in very handy every couple of months.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
filthy, compressed air comes in very handy every couple of months.

Is there a special type you need to be on the safe side? Or will any old can of compressed air be fine? By fans are making a loud noise and I think it is due to the fact that I have not cleaned my computer in over a year :).

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Most computers gather a lot of dust on the inside. The Mac Pro is certainly no exception. Fortunately, where the Mac Pro is an exception is that most areas are so damn accessible that popping off the side panel and having a spray around with a can of compressed air or even, gulp, a careful suck with a vacuum is easy.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
1) Put a box with an inward flowing fan in a corner for a year.
2) Stick some cardboard "walls" in there for good measure and to hold the dust.
3) Let the fan run and don't touch it at all.
4) Open it after a year.
5) Scream. ;)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
1) Put a box with an inward flowing fan in a corner for a year.
2) Stick some cardboard "walls" in there for good measure and to hold the dust. 3) Let the fan run and don't touch it at all.
4) Open it after a year.
5) Scream. ;)

Oh I get it now :D

Strange, but when I opened my iMac G5 last autumn (by that time my iMac has been 2 years old already) there was rather little dust... definitely not at the "scary" level

crm114

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
Midwest
Dust can and will cause a short or crash - it has happened - i have seen it on a number of PC's over the last few years. You should blow it out once every couple of months - esp. if you have animals in your house and if you smoke.

be very careful with a vaccum - i have seen jumpers come off mother boards and cards and get lost in a vaccums - leave the dyson in the closet for this one - small computer vacs can be bought for cheap that work just right.

any compressed air is fine - just not too much (like from your compressor in the garage - no i dont know how much pressure is too much).

I have found dead insects and loose screws in a computers as well - these will short out parts - and could cause a fire.

just clean it out once in a while and you will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.