Dust in MBP screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cnote678, Feb 16, 2010.

1. cnote678 macrumors member

Ok so I got my unibody MacBook right after they came out, probably Oct (?) 2008. I was gonna buy the AppleCare but didn't...and now, there are huge chunks of dust smack in the middle of my screen. Any tips on what to do? I went to the Apple Store at the Mall of America and the Genius was a total dick, saying since it was past warranty, even though it's a manufacturing defect I have to pay to get it fixed. I live in Chicago so I didn't want it fixed there anyway, I wanted to see what they'd do. Now it's obvious lots of people have had this problem so...is there any chance I can get it fixed?

I remember my gf has the white plastic one and when the plastic at the bottom was cracking they replaced it way after warranty since it was a known defect. Won't they do that for me too? I'm fully prepared to go in and raise total hell if necessary.

2. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

You might want to be prepared to try something that works too.

Seriously--the guys/gals at the Apple Store have policies they have to follow and don't get paid enough to have to put up with people getting all irate. If you don't get the answer you're looking for, call Apple directly.

Take it up the chain--don't have a tantrum to the people whose hands are tied.

3. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

I'm not sure if the same thing applies in the US, but in the UK, under the Sale of Goods Act of 1979 a product must be of satisfactory quality and last for as long as one would expect it to last.

My Opinion from that is:

If it is deemed that a manufacturing defect caused dust to get behind a glass panel, after only 16 months, then this product is obviously not of satisfactory quality, especially considering the price and Apples known quality standards.

Although, if they could argue that it was due to your negligence or misuse of the product, then they are quite within their rights not to replace it out of warranty.

Does this same Act or similar exist in the US?

4. cnote678 thread starter macrumors member

I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

I don't think it does at all...but, thanks for the tip! That will be incentive to move to the UK :p

Fyi I called them and they said without Apple Care they won't fix it. Is there any way to buy Apple Care now and say it just wasn't registered on time?

5. cnote678 thread starter macrumors member

Saved!!!

Just as an update, I went to the Apple Store on Michigan Avenue in Chicago and talked to a Genius named Cran. He was really nice and said they will replace my screen for free!!! So I guess I just got really really really super lucky! I was so happy when he told me, I was beaming all night. Thanks to everyone for all your help!

6. Cam42 macrumors member

If anything like this happens in the future, try going higher up in Apple, like sjobs@apple.com
    That email goes directly to people who will get back to you with a possible solution

7. dkletter macrumors newbie

I'm glad you got taken care of. I had the exact same thing happen to me, they replaced the screen with no questions asked.