Dust in speaker cover on retina MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ideal.dreams, Mar 29, 2014.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I noticed a while ago that there is dust or some other form of debris in the speaker covers of my rMBP. It's worse on the left side than it is on the right. Here is a picture of what I'm referring to:

[​IMG]
    (click to enlarge)

The picture above shows something in the top right hand corner of the speaker cover, in a perfect rectangular shape.

Is there an easy way to remove what's blocking the holes? I tried using something sticky to pull whatever is in there out, but that didn't seem to work.

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

vacuum cleaner with brush to remove the stuff? The brush should keep the nozzle far enough away to avoid any possible "over-suction" damage.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

+1 try to avoid compressed air

5. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

A vacuum with brush is the best method. Compressed air can actually force the dust/particles deeper into the machine instead of clearing it out of there, and that can cause issues down the line.

6. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I tried to use a toothbrush but that did absolutely nothing. Whatever is stuck in these holes is something that's quite difficult to get out. I haven't tried using a vacuum yet but I'm going to and hopefully that'll work.

It's really odd that it's in such a perfect rectangular shape. Wonder what caused that? The holes on the side to the left of the keyboard are also in a strange shape that runs almost in a perfect vertical line up and and down the grid.

7. Polyphonie macrumors member

Polyphonie

Vacuum Cleaner with good suction and use the proper attachment. I'm using a Dyson with the soft bristle brush attachment.

8. wilkinxp macrumors newbie

Am sorry to tell you, that is not dust. I had to exchange my laptop 3 times with this issue. It's an imperfection made when being perforated by the manufacture. It seems like many of this computers have that same issue.

9. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Compressed Air for the win. That is what I did. However, I did a very gentle, gradual motion so I wasn't blow compressed air at full force into that area. Works great!

-P

10. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I had a bad feeling it wasn't dust given how it's only a problem on a certain spot of the speaker cover. I'll give Apple a call and hopefully there's something that can be done at this point.