Dust in the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PhaserFuzz, Jul 1, 2012.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

With all of these new vents, I'm worried about dust getting inside the machine. I would imagine it would be a dust magnet since it literally sucks air inside of it on one end. Is there a safe and easy way to clear out any dust inside? Or do I not even need to worry about it?

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

With no spinning drives of any kind I wouldn't be too worried about there being anything inside that would worry about a bit of dust...

3. 95yjman macrumors member

95yjman

Wasn't there an issue with one of the macbook pro models getting dust in it and apple doing a recall?

4. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Well, there are still spinning fans.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

It is a non-issue.

6. billpaxton macrumors member

billpaxton

ask that same question in approx 3-4 yrs time and im sure you'll see issues with the open vents.

After seeing how much dust was in my 2011 17" MBP fans id be very worried considering there was only the 1 large vent at the screen hinge.

7. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Hmm that's interesting to think about actually. I'm sure in a couple years of daily useage, there would be some problems showing up.

8. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Open it up every 6 months and just use an air can.

9. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Also even though it's hardly a standard issue a couple of times I've been walking to work with my 15" non retina and have been pissed all over by the rain, luckily when these things are closed they're relatively sealed but I'm not too sure about the retina

10. hi-there macrumors member

With my 2009 MBP, I use to take the back plate off every year to give 2 fans a quick dust off but the rMBP can't be opened (need special screw driver set) so I might have to use a compressed air with nozzle and see if that will dislodge any dusk/fluff build up.

11. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I'd imagine Apple would have had this in mind when designing these things. Also, sucking air in and blowing it out is how all computer fans operate.

As for cleaning out your MBP, I've found most Apple stores will do it for you if you ask nicely (even if you no longer have AppleCare).

12. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Hard drives are sealed. They are manufactured in a clean-room setting, and are only ever serviced in a clean-room by professionals. Unless there is a manufacturing defect, dust is not going to leak into the drive. So concerns about dust getting into a computer have never been about whether the hard drive is going to be exposed. That's always been a non-issue.

The fans could get clogged over time, yes. I'd think that removing the bottom of the computer and then using a little canned air on it every few months should be sufficient, though.

-- Nathan