Dust inside glossy screen -- Brand new unibody MBP 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CPA01, Apr 12, 2009.

1. CPA01 macrumors newbie

I just bought a brand new 17" unibody macbook pro glossy about a month ago. Today I just noticed there are 2 hairs on the inside of the screen. They are on top, near the main menu bar, but will probably migrate downward as time goes on.

I went with the glossy screen option, because whatever, it seemed fine and my last MBP was glossy. What I didn't realize is they gave the screen the same treatment as the iphone 3g, which basically is a sheet of thin glass wedged in with a rubber seal along the entire edge. This seal apparently doesnt keep out dust because on my iphone 3g, there is a bunch inside the screen and now it looks like my MBP will suffer the same fate. Wish I had gone with matte.

I find this unacceptable...My machine is brand new. I take excellent care of it and do everything I can to keep it scratch/dust free, ESPECIALLY the screen.

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem yet?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I can understand dust, it's small so it can get through but strands of hair? That's a first. It is a month old like you said so I really don't know what Apple can do for you. You might want to call them up and see if they can remove the glass, remove the hair and then place the glass panel back under AppleCare.

3. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Bring it in and have them replace it. Dust and fibers were both a problem in my matte 15" 2.16 MBP. The screens should be factory sealed to prevent dust and other particles getting underneath.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

This is one of the reasons why I prefer the matte over glossy/glassy.I always loved the matte for no reflections/color accuracy/brighter etc..

but you can also not have to worry about having dust/hair underneath the glass since the matte does not have a glass covering outside the display.

5. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Trust me, the matte's get dust as well, Of the 4 display replacements on my 2.16 MBP 2 of them were for visible dust.

6. CPA01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well its not like I carry around my computer in my pocket all day long. Dont know how that hair got in there in the first place. Must have been there from the factory of something.

Hm, I wonder if they'll still let me swap the screen for a matte one if I pay the difference....

Oh, snowmoon--really you had dust in your matte screen? I had a glossy MBP for 2 years before I got the new unibody and never had any dust in the screen at all..figured that those screens were at least air tight

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

They'll probably do it for free because of the inconvenience, file a complaint with with Applecare over the phone, and then get THEM to book a genius appointment for you. You should always do this, because if Applecare book the appointment the Genius is obliged to fix your problem, they cant turn you away.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The 15 and 13 were out long before the 17, so how did you not know the screen design?

If it has dust or hairs bring it in for repair.

9. CPA01 thread starter macrumors newbie

I never paid too much attention to how the screen was put together until I got mine. Anyway, I brought it into the apple store today, and the tech told me hairs should not be getting in the screen and scheduled a replacement part. nice and easy. I do wonder if the rubber seal design is inherently more prone to allowing particles under the glass though...

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No more than the previous design being prone to keyboard scuff marks that won't wipe off.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

My 1st Gen 15" MBP (matte) got two thrips (thunder bugs) inside the LCD so they are by no means immune to dust, etc...

12. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

You mean permanent scuff damage on the glass surface?

With best regards,
    Bas

13. CPA01 thread starter macrumors newbie

my last gen 15" MBP never had any dust in the scren, or marks from the keyboard, but I have seen marks on other reg. macbooks, etc. that were made from the keyboard. I always wondered how people would be ok with that. My sister's computer has marks from the keyboard all over the screen and she never seems to notice/care.

In my opinion, its just faulty design. One good thing about the glossy glass screen on my new MBP I guess is that it will be less prone to permanent marks from the keyboard, scratches etc. This is me speculating of course.