Dust inside MacBook Pro (Unibody) screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lhlee96, Jul 5, 2009.

1. lhlee96 macrumors member

lhlee96

Just weeks after buying my new unibody MacBook Pro in late December 2008, I noticed a few dust specks. I was in Shanghai (where there were no Apple Stores), so I waited a few weeks until I was supposed to go to Sydney.

When I arrived in Sydney, I booked a Genius Bar appointment. After the Genius inspected the screen and attempted to wipe the screen with some iKlear, he told me that he would check if there were any new screens and that if there were, he would replace it today.

So, I waited for about four hours for the repair, then came at the time he told me to collect it. I waited for another two hours, as the Genius also found out that my AirPort Card was faulty, so they were going to replace that as well.

It was about ten o'clock at night when I got back my MBP with a new screen. I thought everything was all right, until I found out that the person who repaired my screen had misaligned the top and bottom, so the bottom stuck out 2mm, or rather, the screen was sunk back 2mm. I couldn't go back to the store the next day, since I was bound to go back to Shanghai early next morning since I had school on Monday (I'm a student).

After about two weeks with the new screen, I noticed that the hinge had gotten noticeably looser, and when I moved it, it wobbled back and forth for a few seconds. Then, a week from then on, I noticed a dust speck in the lower left corner. I also had one in the center of the screen. The summer holidays were in two months, so I decided to just hold on for a little longer.

Since the summer holidays have rolled around, I'm going back to Sydney in July. Do you think that Apple would replace my screen the second time?

EDIT: I also found out that my MBP has some type of problem. It is extremely dependent on the battery, and I have to plug in the charger, or it shuts down instantly (or in a few minutes). After the crash, the battery lights would blink on and off (all of the lights). I'd have to remove the battery cover, pull out the battery, put back the battery, close the battery cover and plug in the charger so that the lights would revert back to the normal lights.
    I went to a dealer in Shanghai about it and they told me that it might be the battery's problem, so I got a new battery for testing out, but then the computer shut down after about one hour of usage. I'm almost definitely sure that it is the logic board's problem, and do you think that Apple would replace my logic board for free? (I have never dropped my MBP, or have any reason for it to suddenly turn faulty.)

2. akbc macrumors 6502

I would look for an Apple authorized reseller/repair service centres... They should be in the major cities in China. They can perform the same service and repairs as the Apple stores.

And yes, if you talk to them nicely enough and explain the whole process and convince them that it's not your fault but the repair shop's, then they'll definitely repair it for free.

3. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

Screen

Um, but they aren't in Shanghai. The nearest one is the Beijing Apple Store, and I really cannot take a plane flight there. I'm visiting Sydney for two weeks in the near future, so I'm hoping to go back to the Apple Store there and literally kill that person who fixed my MacBook Pro screen.

And I'm kind of angry at them (even though I'm not entitled to, as it said on the piece of paper I had to sign for them to be able to repair my screen), as I had an LG quality MBP screen then, but they swapped it with a Chimei quality screen. Grr.

4. akbc macrumors 6502

http://www.apple.com.cn/support/applecare/asp/asp_powerbook.html

Found this, but I'm not sure if they're still there :) Not very good at Chinese, but check those.. I see some addresses in Shanghai?

EDIT: lol, I see one service provider in Shanghai
    Btw, note that these are service providers, NOT apple stores. But they both provide the same service under same warranty terms (AppleCare is supported)

5. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

Service Provider

I actually tried calling them up. Unfortunately, I do not understand Chinese, and there was no 'Press 2 for English' or anything like that. Plus, their providing store is in Puxi, which takes about three hours to go there.