Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Tonight I opened up my MBP and the first thing I noticed is that there was noticeable amount of dust accumulation inside. Most around the optical drive, and I could see dust inside the fans too.

I have compressed air, but when I did a quick google search to see if that was okay to use -- some said yes and others said it was a terrible idea.

So MacRumors, what is the best way for me to get rid of all the dust? I want to open it up again tomorrow.

Last edited:

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2013
here
compressed air is perfectly fine. just keep the can vertical, so no liquid will be sprayed.

I highly recommend to disasemble the fan and remove the dust you will find. the grill between the fan and the outer grill must be full of dense acumulated dust.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
compressed air is perfectly fine. just keep the can vertical, so no liquid will be sprayed.

I highly recommend to disasemble the fan and remove the dust you will find. the grill between the fan and the outer grill must be full of dense acumulated dust.

Thank you! I will use the compressed air, and I'll see if I can find any video guides on taking out the fans to see if I would feel comfortable doing that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.