Dust inside sleep light indicator? (PIC)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Esoin, May 6, 2010.

1. Esoin macrumors member

I noticed when I put my new MBP 15" to sleep, there is a little black dot inside the sleep light. I know it's a minor issue, but is this normal?

If not normal, is it possible dust got inside? Would I be able to blow aerosol air in that area if I remove the bottom plate? thanks. -esoin

Attached Files:

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You could try an air duster. The light is being let through by tiny holes that are laser drilled, so a puff of air should go through.

On the other hand, there might've been a glitch in the drilling process with that particular unibody.

3. kjaxplicit24 macrumors regular

Mine has that too. As does my buddy's at school. I'm pretty sure it's normal.

4. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

IIRC it's behind the hard drive bracket. You should be able to get that off pretty easily and see what's up.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

yeah it's really easy to get to it. Follow the instructions on how to swap the HD and once you get the HD out of the bay remove the second bracket holding the HD in place (only two screws) and then you can clean the inside of the aluminum where the light shines through (where there's dust).

You'll even be able to see the sleep light indicator itself. It's also held in place by that 2nd HD bracket.

6. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Mine is the same. And so was my previous one. If you look directly into the light from a horizontal position (rather than looking down on it from an angle), there is no sign of "dust". So it's most likely a shadow from something within, when seen from an angle. Anyone who takes the computer apart for such a trivial nonsense must be ill-of-mind.

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It takes 5 minutes to get to it and clean it. It's not like it's under the logic board, Cecil.

8. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

From what i hear they thin out the aluminum, and tat allows the light to shine through. No holes... nothing, just a very thin translucent aluminum.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/design.html